Friday 25 February 2011

Potato and Leek Soup

Kitchen Play List:    Kings of Leon ~ Notion Album

I'm always making soup. Honestly I make at least two a week. But today I've made three. If I have veggies that need using up I find myself in the 'soup zone' with my music up loud and I just get stuck in. The first one on the list today was Potato and Leek. Now I personally hated this soup for years. But then I had only ever tried the tinned variety and the horribly salty varieties you get served in restaurants. Not good. And then I was made a homemade version and I found that I quite liked this pale and subtle soup. I have tried a few other versions of this recipe but this is the one I like the best. And I can't give credit where its due, which annoys me greatly, because it was posted anonymously. But whoever you are....Thank you very much. I doubled the original recipe to make enough to serve and then enough to freeze as it reheats very well. 


Potato and Leek Soup     Serves 12

2 tbsp olive oil
4 leeks, prepped and sliced
4 cups of onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 large cloves of garlic, grated
2 lb potatoes, peeled and chopped up
4 cups of veggie stock


In a large soup pan, heat the oil and add the onions, leeks and salt. Cook until the onions have gone translucent and the leeks have softened. Grate the garlic into the pan and stir to combine and cook for 1 minute. 

Add the potatoes and stir to coat them in the onion, leek and garlic mix. Then pour the stock and stir in. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and then cook for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally. 

When the potatoes are soft, place a third of the soup into a blender and blitz until smooth. Repeat this two more times. When all the soup is smooth pour it back into the soup pan to reheat and reseason. Then serve. 

This soup freezes well. Enjoy.