Monday 21 February 2011

Rocket and Roses Broccoli and Flageolet Bean Soup

Kitchen Play List:   Pearl Jam ~ Ten Album

My name is Red and I am a Broccoli-aholic.  I am not joking. I could eat the lovely green stuff for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. And all the snacks in between! I love it raw, steamed, sauted with garlic, in things, over things and on the side of things! Yes..I love it. But rarely have I found a soup made with it that I like. I find the Broccoli and 'Cheeze' soups around, too darn salty for my palate. When I was a vegetarian I suffered it in silence. And always wondered if I could make one that I did like. 

Its very rare to find a glut of Broccoli in my kitchen. In fact I think this weekend was the first time ever? So I saw this as the opportunity to try putting together a soup. I wanted to keep it very simple as that's when I enjoy Broccoli the most. I didn't want to use soya milk or cream to give it that smoothness that I felt it needed. And I would be a liar if I said the idea to use beans, and in particular Flageolet Beans, was mine. It was in fact My Loves idea. And the following recipe is what I came up with. I really enjoyed the earthy flavour and the Broccoli and beans went together quite well. Thank you My Love ;o) 


Rocket and Roses Broccoli and Flageolet Bean Soup    Serves 8
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

2 tbsp olive oil (or oil of your choice)
4 large garlic cloves, micro grated
1 litre veggie stock 
800g  Broccoli, chopped
1 14oz tin of Flageolet Beans, drained and rinsed
salt and freshly ground black pepper to season 

Gently saute the grated garlic in the oil until its fragrant and golden. Do not let it burn as it will just taste bitter. Add the chopped broccoli to the pan and stir to coat with the garlic/oil mixture. Add the veggie stock next and stir it in. Bring the stock to a boil and reduce heat to a medium simmer, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes until the Broccoli is just soft. Next add the drained Flageolet Beans and stir to combine. Bring the stock to a boil once again to heat the beans through. Season to taste. Then blend the soup until smooth. Enjoy!