Wednesday 30 March 2011

5-Spices Plum Chutney

Kitchen Play List: Classic Rock ~ Rock Eruption CD

I picked up a large bag of plums at my supermarket last week for the bargain price of 45p. I know I could have stewed them and frozen them but to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of stewed fruit...I would rather just eat the fruit in its fresh glory. But these plums weren't ripe enough to eat like this and I wouldn't be able to get through them all when they finally reached that stage. My Love is very loyal to the British plums so never eats imported ones. So I was sat with this rather hefty bag of bargain plums and wondering what I was going to do with them, for two days! lol. 

A few months ago I found a wonderful and inspirational site called Vegelicious.org It has the most amazing recipes and photographs and I often make meals from their extensive library. I was clicking through the pages and up popped this chutney recipe. They had served it with Tempeh and veggies which isn't to my taste but the chutney looked so tasty and as I had the plums sat waiting to be used I thought I would try it out.

The results were a very tangy, savoury, spicy and rich chutney. It was easy to make and a very good recipe. From the first taste I had many ideas for different ways to use it up. So thank you Vegelicious...once again!


5-Spices Plum Chutney
(Recipe from Vegelicious.org)

1 tbsp mustard seeds
2 lb plums, pitted and roughly chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 med onion, chopped
2-3 tsp 5-Spice
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
3-4 tbsp brown sugar
dash of cayenne
dash of cinnamon

In a medium heat the mustard seeds until they change colour and start to pop. Add the oil and the onion, saute until soft. Add the chopped plums and stir well. Add the seasonings, vinegar and sugar. Cook on a low heat until the plums have softened and the mixture is thick and syrupy. Leave to cool. 

Enjoy!