Sunday 13 March 2011

Mushroom Do-Piaza

Kitchen Play List:          Classic FM Cello Favourites 

I needed a quiet and gentle Sunday morning cooking session today. For some reason I have woken up with the symptoms of a hangover...without drinking a drop of alcohol! Shocking. Lol. So I turned to my favourite mind relaxer which is the fine music that comes from a well played Cello. And then the first thing I made was a comforting soup for the next few days and finally this recipe for Mushroom Do-Piaza. Sundays are usually the night we have an Indian meal of some variety. No real reason for why it has to be a Sunday...it just seems to fit for us. 

I have many recipes that I use for this but I have an old favourtie that I turn to often. The The Low-Fat Indian Vegetarian Cookbook: Over 250 Low-Fat and Healthy Recipes by Mridula Baljekar is a fantastic book. And yes I know I eat a vegan diet but it's easy to sub the butter and ghee. The few recipes that have eggs in them...well..I just don't make them! Simple. I have never been let down by the recipes in this book and My Love and I really look for to Spinach & Potatoes with Garlic and Fennel, Lemon Rice, Dry Spiced Cabbage, Nine-jewelled Vegetables and The Five Jewels (Dahl Panchrattan). Obviously not all at the same time. lol. 

I wanted to try a new recipe today and as I had a glut of mushrooms and shallots to use up I decided this one would be perfect. The smells coming from the skillet were amazing and the Sock Stealer was patrolling around the kitchen hoping to scoop up any droppage. lol. Not a chance.  My Love came in from working in the garden and taste tested a spoonful and asked if we could have it for lunch. 

I shall be serving it with Chickpea Pilau and some steamed greens. 


Mushroom Do-Piaza Serves 4
(Recipe from The Low-Fat Indian Vegetarian Cookbook/Baljekkar)

1 small onion, roughly chopped
1 cm/ 1/2 " cube fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp sunflower oil
6 shallots, very finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp crushed, dried chilli flakes
1 tsp ground turmeric
125g/ 4oz/ 1/2 cup canned chopped tomatoes, including juice
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp salt or to taste
370g/ 3oz/ 2/3 cup frozen garden peas
90ml/ 3oz/ 1/3 cup warm water
1/2 tsp garam masala


Puree the onion, ginger, garlic, fresh chilli with the water in a food processor or blender. 


In a large pan, heat the oil, toss in the shallots and stir fry for 3-4 minutes or until beginning to colour. 


Add the coriander, cumin and crushed chilli peppers. Stir fry for 30 seconds, then add the pureed ingredients and stir fry over a low heat for 5-6 minutes.


Add the turmeric and half the tomatoes, increase the hear to medium and stir fry for 2 -3 minutes. Add the remaining tomatoes and stir fry 3- 4 minutes. 


Add the tomato puree, salt, mushrooms, peas and warm water, stir and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 -6 minutes. By this time, the natural juices from the mushrooms, combined with the cooking liquid, will produce a thick, paste-like sauce. 


Sprinkle with the garam masala and stir fry for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and serve with chapattis or Chickpea Pilau. 


Enjoy!