Saturday 26 March 2011

Raw Carob/Cocoa 'Elly' Treats

Kitchen Play List:    Nat King Cole ~ The Best of...

Nak'd Raw Bars! Totally delicious and good for you. But it's a very expensive habit to feed! lol. So I have been trying to find a recipe to make something that would be just as good or even a good enough substitute. In all honesty I have struggled to do just that. My friend, D, has had more success at this than I have. But she did burn out a blender in the process! lol. About a month ago I was looking through Vegweb.com new recipe section and sketchfreevegan.com had posted her recipe for these 'treats'. The Elly part comes from the shapes that she and her sister had cut them in. Very cute. lol. And it seemed like a recipe that I would like to try. So I printed off the recipe and it's been sat in the 'recipe pending' tray. lol. This Sunday I found myself a garden widow so decided to try them out. 

The results were amazing. They came together very easily and I got coated in the mixture and as anyone would, before I washed my hands I tested the dough on my fingers. lol. Oh, it was so good! I was surprised because I haven't had that much success with carob in the past but this was great! I rolled out the dough between two pieces of cling film and used a rectangle cookie cutter. Sketch had gotten 10 Ellys from her dough but using my cutter I got 12 but would have easily got 14 if My Love and I didn't need to 'test' them! lol. Obviously rectangles aren't as cute as Elly's but I can live with that! You can swap out the carob for cocoa if you really can't bear the thought of carob or you just don't like it. And also Sketch recommends using mint or orange extract instead of vanilla. And I didn't grind my coconut because I forgot to lol. 


 Raw carob 'Elly' Treats
(Recipe by sketchfreevegan.com)

1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, ground fine (optional)
1/2 cup carob powder
3-4 tbsp coconut nectar, or other raw sweetener ( I used Agave)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Add enough water to make a dough.  (I used 1/4 cup/ 4 tbsp)

Roll out with rolling pin and cut out shapes.

Freeze until firm then store in a sealed container in the fridge. 

Enjoy!