Thursday 7 April 2011

Rocket and Roses Avocado and Black Bean Dressing

Kitchen Play List:      Adele ~ 19 CD

Well the bargains are coming in so fast this week I really can't keep up! lol. I have three bags of Avocados to use. I am still at the 'getting to love it' stage with this green beauty.  I can't eat slices of it yet but I hope to one day. So I experiment with it in dips, dressings and sauces. Today I had some black beans to use up so I started throwing things in the blender and made a huge mess. One thing about avocado I don't like is the mess. lol.

The leftovers went into a stainless steel bowl with an tight fitting opaque lid and I also kept two of the stones from the avocados and pushed them into the dressing. I picked up this tip from the cookbook author Terry Romero and it actually works! Obviously it won't last for days but for a day or two it stops the avocado from going brown. 

The result was a creamy dressing that I put on my salad and it was delicious. 


Rocket and Roses Avocado and Black Bean Dressing
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

4 ripe avocados, skin removed
2 small cloves of garlic, grated
4 spring onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2oz cooked black beans
juice of one lime
3 fl oz filtered water

Place the avocados into a processor and pulse until broken down a little. Then grate in the garlic cloves, toss in the spring onion and black beans and pulse for 1 minute. Then pour in the lime juice and leave the processor running as you slowly add the water in through the feeder tube. Keep processing until the mix is light and fluffy. Serve. 

If you require a thinner dressing then add 1-2 fl oz water more. 

NB: Don't forget the avocado stones to go in the dressing until ready to use or to keep leftovers fresher. It's a good tip because it actually does work! lol. 

Enjoy!