Sunday 10 April 2011

Rocket and Roses Garlic & Broccoli Soup

Kitchen Play List:   Madison Avenue ~ Don't Call Me Baby
                                  Booty Luv ~ Boogie 2 Nite
                                  Black Legend ~ You See the Trouble With Me
                                  Donna Summer ~ Hot Summer
                                  Will Smith ~ Switch
                                  Joe Loss & Orchestra ~ The Stripper
                                  B.E.P's ~ Shut Up
                                  (Part of the Dance/Fun playlist on my IPod?lol)

I found myself with a glut of beautiful green broccoli and garlic bulbs this weekend. So, as I had the coming week's lunchtime soup still to make, I decided to try out a simple recipe that I had hanging around in my head. It's based on one of my favourite take out dishes I used to enjoy 11 years ago and as I haven't been able to get it in this country it's always stayed in my memory. It was its simple ingredients and flavours that also had me going back for more and I felt sure I could transform this into a soup. All I needed was the broccoli, garlic, olive oil and veggie stock. I also added some green lentils as suddenly I was inspired they would blend in well.

The results were tested by myself and My Love both stood with little white bowls and drinking it straight from the bowls like a cuppa. lol. But we both agreed that it tasted good and the texture was good too. It wasn't how I had imagined it would be but then unless I go back to that little Italian restaurant in Brooklyn I don't think it ever will! lol. But it was good, tasty and a healthy nourishing soup. I know I will be making this regularly.

Be warned though, this recipe makes at least eight good portions as I make enough to go through the week but it is such a simple recipe it can be reduced if you need to...


Rocket and Roses Garlic and Broccoli Soup   Serves 8
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 tbsp olive oil
8 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
4 heads of Broccoli, rinsed and stalk ends taken off
1 14oz tin of green lentils, rinsed and drained
3 litres of 'hot' veggie stock
cracked black pepper to season to taste

In a very large soup pan, heat the oil and gently fry the garlic slices until golden brown...not dark brown!

Chop the broccoli into florets and roughly chop the stalks and keep separate. When the garlic is golden toss in the stalks and saute for 3 minutes.

Pour the hot stock into the pan, stir and turn up heat to bring the stock to boiling and then carefully add the broccoli florets and the lentils. Stir well and then bring back up to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is just tender. Then remove from the heat and blitz with a stick blender and season with cracked black pepper.

Enjoy!