Monday 9 May 2011

Parsley Passion Smoothie

OMG Green Smoothies have invaded the house! lol
Yes, it's true. I have gone over to the Green Side! lol. And for a very good reason. I picked up a viral nasty a couple of weeks ago and I'm still trying to shake it off. The medical advice of..."it'll pass..eventually!"..really isn't that much good. I always take a long two weeks (if I'm lucky!) to get over viral nasties. But with this one even My Love is having trouble shaking it off. So we started looking around for something we could do to help ourselves...other than keeping away from everyone and 'bag it and bin it' tissue regime. It seems to be a viral that keeps coming back and attacking the chest, throat and energy levels. My Loves research kept coming back to green smoothies as a way of boosting the immune system..mine is shot to pieces hence the reason I get knocked out so bad with virals.

But can I just say...green smoothies!!!!! Urgh. Now I am a lifelong veggie and now vegan but even I struggle with the cold green veggie smoothie idea. I'm not a fan of cold soup either and isn't it almost the same thing? lol

However, I then started to look into the green smoothie regime to find out as much information as I could before we crossed over to the other side. And I kept being lead back to a couple of books on the subject. Finally I gave in and ordered one from Amazon.co.uk Victoria Boutenko's Green Smoothie Revolution
It arrived and I sat and read it cover to cover and decided that although I didn't agree with all her theory....I did get her 'thinking' We accepted that there would be no way we would completely give up cooked food...we are never going to be Raw foodist's. But we could try starting the day with a green smoothie. The book is small but it has many green smoothie recipes...200 in fact so it will a valuable recipe book if nothing else.

So this morning was our first morning on our Green Smoothie experiment. It wasn't as horrific as I had built it up to be in my head. Although I was a little disturbed at My Love's pale face when I was handed my smoothie to drink. It was very green and the smell...interesting but not unpleasant! lol I was doing well until the last mouthful and I must have had that sneaky piece that escapes the blender and to be honest it was a shock. lol. But the taste wasn't too bad. I was grateful for the apple in it to give it that bit of sweetness. Victoria does advise that you start with the smoothies with fruit in them. I can see why...lol

I have to say, that I think I will get to grips with the green smoothie malarky. Although hearing that My Love was still feeling nauseous a few hours later whilst having to sit through a train journey to London, I did feel bad but I have been told that My Love is still 'with' the green smoothie breakfasts... after all it was My Loves idea to try it out...Iol!!

So I shall be posting the green smoothies and sharing with you the outcomes.

Parsley Passion Smoothie Makes 4 servings
(Recipe from Green Smoothie Revolution/V.Boutenko)
1 bunch of fresh parsley
1 cucumber, peeled
1 Fuji Apple
1 ripe banana
2 cups of water

Add everything to the blender and blitz until smooth. Enjoy! lol