Thursday 26 May 2011

Simple Supper for One ~ Rocket and Roses Goodness Bowl

Kitchen Play List: J-Lo ~ The Remixes Album

My Love was working away yesterday and was in Birmingham attending the Waterways Renaissance Awards...winning the Partnership award and coming 1st runner up in Innovations. Wehoo! My Love! lol But that meant I was home alone for the night and cooking for one is never as much fun...but I promised myself that I would make an effort instead of reheating something from the freezer stores. 

I was still craving comfort (dammit) so I pulled a bag of frozen brown rice from the freezer. I have a rice cooker which is fabulous and I recommend to everyone that they get one..makes it so much easier. I cook up a large quantity of rice...cool it quickly...and then bag it up in 1/2 cup measures. I flatten the bags as I seal them and they store perfectly in the freezer. 4 minutes in the microwave and you have perfectly cooked rice without the fuss. Anyway....lol

I just pulled things from my stocks; a red onion, garlic, red chilli, courgette, aducki beans, baby plum cherry tomatoes, soy sauce and some red wine vinegar. The rice rounded it out. It was filling, good tasting and the right level of comfort...I like my courgettes on the 'al dente' side so there was the softness of the rice and beans then the slight crunch of the courgettes and the pop of flavour from the plum tomatoes. The soy and the red wine vinegar worked well together to add that other level of taste with the heat from the chilli. Thrown together at the last minute...and delicious. 

Simple Supper for One ~ Goodness Bowl
Rocket and Roses ~ Goodness Bowl
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 tsp Rotina Healthier cooking oil or oil of choice
2 cloves garlic, grated
1 med courgette, sliced in half moons
1 'hot' red chilli, finely chopped
10 baby plum tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 14oz tin of Aducki beans, rinsed and drained. Use as many as you choose!
1 1/2 cup bag of cooked brown rice
1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce/tamari if GF
1 tbsp red wine vinegar 

In a medium skillet heat the oil and saute the onion until turning brown then toss in the garlic and chilli. Keep stirring as it will catch otherwise. 

Add the courgette and tomatoes to the skillet and saute for 4 minutes. The tomatoes will begin the wrinkle and the courgettes will colour. Add the aducki bean and the soy sauce and red wine vinegar. Keep stirring. 

Heat the rice in the microwave for 4 minutes and when cooked add into the pan and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes and then serve! 

Enjoy! ~R~