Friday 17 June 2011

A Basic Wholesome Hummus

Kitchen Play List: Kelis ~ Milkshake
                                     Lady Antebellum ~ Need You Now
                                     Jason Collett ~ Blue Sky
                                     Rolling Stones ~ It's Only Rock and Roll
                                     Shelby Lynne ~ I Only Want To Be With You
                                     The Gossip ~ Standing in the Way of Control

I wish Anon would make themselves known! This is another of those recipes I found posted by this mythical creature. lol. If you know the origin of this recipe please let me know as I prefer to give credit where it's due....

It's a good base recipe for making your own hummus. If your only experience with hummus is the shop bought kind...I feel for you...you are missing out on so much! lol. It's not hard to make and compared to the shop bought ones, it isn't packed with the preservatives and the nasty acidic after taste you can sometimes get. I have known shop bought hummus's to give me mouth ulcers. But if you don't have the time to make your own then fair enough...no judgment. lol


This recipe on its own is good. Its flavours are wholesome and the texture is very light and fluffy. I sometimes add things like peppers, chillies and an array of herbs and spices. It gives you a decent hummus as is but a perfect canvas to experiment with other ingredients. 


The only negative thing I would say about this hummus is the amount of oil used. My hummus's are usually as low oil as possible but when I'm making this one I don't mess with it. But if you aren't that worried about the amount of oil needed or aren't on some kind of restricted eating plan then give this one a try. 


I always use slightly more lemon juice than the recipe suggests but don't worry, it's almost impossible to make this hummus too acidic...I said almost! lol. It makes a large box of hummus so is good for buffets  or to have in the fridge for the weekday lunches. 


Wholesome Hummus
Wholesome Hummus
(Found posted by ANON on a website) 

2 14oz tins of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (plus extra if needed)
3 tbsp tahini
3 garlic cloves, grated
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cumin powder
pinch of coriander powder
pinch of paprika
salt and pepper to season, to taste

In a food processor put the drained chickpeas and the oil and blitz until broken down but not paste like or creamy. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until almost smooth or the texture you prefer. Taste for seasonings and alter according to taste. 

I usually add a little more lemon juice at this stage but that's just my preference. 

Go for it and experiment with other ingredients and I would love to hear how you get on? 

Enjoy! 
~R~