Monday 6 June 2011

Green Smoothie Catch Up 3 & 4

We are still keeping up with our Green Smoothie experiment. Mondays are always the hardest day as we have a cooked brunch on Sundays...lol. And after the initial shudder, we slip back into the lush green mush. 

Week 4 was interesting as we found, quite by chance,  a particular coconut needed for one of recipes from Victoria Boutenko's Green Smoothie Revolution

If I'm honest, I really couldn't taste the coconut in either of it's form..water or the coconut meat. The smoothie also had strawberries and kale and they were the overriding flavours. So Coconut Chameleon maybe isn't one we will be having that often. The second smoothie of the week was Refreshing Cucumber Spinach...lets just say we drank it down very quickly! lol. And Fridays Romintic Mango...tasted ok but sent my sugar levels soaring and then I crashed mid morning and had to have something else. But that's just me as I have a bad relationship with Mango. 

Coconut Chameleon 4 servings
(Recipe from Green Smoothie Revolution/Boutenko)

1 young  coconut, water and meat
2 bananas
1 cup of strawberries
2 cups of greens - kale
1 cup of water

Prep the fruits and veggies and blitz in a blender until smooth.

Refreshing Cucumber Spinach 4 servings
(Recipe from Green Smoothie Revolution/Boutenko)  

1 cucumber 
1 cup of spinach
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp honey
1 sprig of spearmint or 5-7  leaves
2 cups water

Prep the fruits and veggies and blitz in a blender until smooth.

Romintic Mango 2 servings
 (Recipe from Green Smoothie Revolution/Boutenko)

1 ripe mango
1 cup romaine leaves
1 sprig mint or 5-7 leaves

Prep the fruits and veggies and blitz in a blender until smooth. 

This was probably the hardest week so far but that was more of a taste issue. We fully accept that there are going to be smoothies we don't like...but we will continue on and hope that they are few. lol. 

Week 5  is going to be interesting as we are having smoothies that have elements that both of us will be less than happy to try. But as we are working our way through the recipes we will have to literally suck it up and get on with it! lol. I was very busy yesterday so I gave My Love the book and asked for three recipes for this week. 

Today was Favourite Green Smoothie...and blimey did it make me shudder...it had fresh ginger in so I can see why My Love chose it..but as I'm not a lover of fresh ginger drinks...I struggled. And the texture was quite thick but we are beginning to think this is more to do with our whimpy blender and not the smoothies. 

Tomorrow's is a very fruity smoothie and the only green in it is romaine leaves. My Love does tend to favour the fruit filled ones. So we will see what happens with this one. lol. Oops, the title of this one is Apple Green Smoothie. 

Fridays is the one I am looking forward to least. I Can't Believe It's Green Smoothie....what a title eh? lol. It's a mix of chard, apple, celery, pear and cherry tomatoes. My Love is not a fan of celery at all so I guess that's the balance, eh? lol. I feel like Week 5 is a 'wish me luck' week! lol.  

Favourite Green Smoothie 4 servings
(Recipe from Green Smoothie Revolution/Boutenko)

3-6 large leaves of Kale, keeping the stems except for the hardest inch at the bottom
1 banana
1 apple
1/2" fresh gingerroot
2 cups water

Prep fruits and veggies and blitz until smooth.

Apple Green Smoothie 4 servings
(Recipe from Green Smoothie Revolution/Boutenko)

4 cups romaine leaves
4 fuji apples
1/2 cup dates, pitted
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 cups of water

Prep fruits and veggies and blitz until smooth. 


I Can't Believe It's Green Smoothie 4 servings
(Recipe from Green Smoothie Revolution/Boutenko)

2 cups of green chard
1-2 sticks of celery
2 cups of cherry tomatoes
1 ripe pear
1 pink lady apple
1 cup of water

Prep fruits and veggies and blitz until smooth

So that's Week 5 and if you are following this and have tried some of the recipes please let me know how you are getting on and what you think? 

~R~