Saturday 4 June 2011

Noo's Thumbprint Cookies

Kitchen Play List:  BBC Radio 2

I had the pleasure of the company of my little bundle of fun, niece Noo, yesterday morning. We had a lot of fun in the kitchen making Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jam. We laughed alot and she made more mess then My Love makes when in the kitchen...and that takes some doing, believe me! lol. The funniest moment was when we had the little balls of dough set out on the trays and I showed her how to 'thumbprint' them. She got started with great gusto, only she kept pushing her thumb right through the dough! And she thought this was hilarious! lol. So I had to go behind her and try to remold them. It was sheer messy fun and I wouldn't have had it any other way! lol.

She took care of the timer whilst they were baking and ran out to watch them cooking. Then with her giant sized oven gloves she 'helped' me lift them out and over to the racks. And she watched intently as I laid them out to cool!  Announcing very proudly that hers were the 'messy' ones. lol. Gotta love the little ones...

Thumbprint Cookies with Strawberry filling
 Noo's Thumbprint Cookies
(Recipe posted by Anon)

1 1/2 cups plain white flour
1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegan marg
1/3 soya milk
1 tsp vanilla extract  
Strawberry jam for filling

Whisk together the white flour, wholemeal plain flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

Beat the sugar and marg together until light and fluffy. (I use a hand held electric mixer for this) Gradually beat in the soya milk, vanilla extract, almond extract until combined. Beat in the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Wrap the dough in cling film, and refridgerate for 30 minutes or overnight.

Preheat oven to 325'F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into balls and place onto the baking sheets. Press indentation in centre of each ball with thumb. 

Place jam into the indents. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cookies are light brown. Transfer to wire rack and cool. 

Noo's 'messy' Thumbprint Cookies...she made me promise to show her cookies off! lol

Enjoy with a nice cuppa tea! 

~R~