Wednesday 1 June 2011

Rocket and Roses Fennel & Asparagus Soup

Kitchen Play List: Sara Sant'Ambrogio ~ Libertango
                              Aerosmith ~ Dude Looks Like A Lady
                              The Eagles ~ Busy Being Fabulous
                              Sara Sant'Ambrogio ~ Prelude No.5 in B Minor
                              The Gossip ~ Eyes Open
                              M.Etheridge ~ All American Girl
                              Queen ~ Somebody To Love

I had a bargain bag sat on my counter which held one lush bunch of British Asparagus priced at 40p, 3 large fennel bulbs priced at 8p each and a small bunch of flat leaf parsley priced at 25p. What to do...what to do? lol. 

If you follow my blog you will know that we each a large salad followed by a cup of soup for our weekly lunch. For those of you lucky enough to be in the hotter climates I know this would be your worse nightmare having to eat a hot soup every lunch...but I'm in England...need I say more? lol But I do try and lighten the soups during spring and summer. So with this in mind I set about creating a 'springtime' soup...

The results were a simple and light soup with a good rounded flavour from all the ingredients. My Love said it was "...a good springtime soup!" Can't argue with that, can I? lol. After the recipe check out the 'fun' shot of this soup...

Rocket and Roses Fennel & Asparagus Soup
Rocket and Roses Fennel & Asparagus Soup Serves 4
(Original recipe from the Rocket and Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 bunch of Asparagus - trimmed,tips removed and set to one side, stalks chopped down
2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and roughly chopped
1200ml light veggie stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove garlic, grated
1 14oz of Haricot Beans, rinsed and drained
Handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Freshly cracked black pepper to season
Salt to season, optional

In a soup pan heat the oil and then toss in the chopped down asparagus stalks and fennel. Stir to coat in the oil and then grate in the garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, keeping the veggies moving to avoid browning.

Toss in the drained beans and parsley and then stir to combine. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the stock and season with a pinch of salt. Bring the soup to a boil with the lid on. Reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and leave to cook, covered for 10 minutes. At this point check to ensure the veggies are tender.

Using a handheld stick blender, blitz the soup until it's smooth. Re-season and add in the asparagus tips and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes.

Then serve...Enjoy!

~R~

Ah those were the days my friend....lol
Isn't this just pure cheeze?? lol. These type of soup mugs remind me of my childhood. We never owned a set sadly but I had friends whose family did. I loved them back then as I do now. I had coveted this one in a shop for ages but had always been talked out of it by My Love..lol. Then yesterday we were in that shop again and there were two in the reduced bin! So I picked this one up for 40p! I hope it makes you smile...it has me...lol ~R~