Thursday 21 July 2011

Dreena's Blueberry Carob Pancakes

Kitchen Play List:  Andrea Bocelli ~ Vivere Album

There was something almost ethereal happening in my kitchen this morning. With Andrea singing to me as I mixed pancakes for our breakfast...lol. My Love was in need of some serious cheering up today and pancakes for breakfast usually help put that smile back on that lovely face. I was also trying out a new found recipe and was very excited about it...I found this recipe when cruising through Dreena Burton's fantastic Eat, drink and be vegan 

I had to re-read this recipe a few times before I accepted that there was no 'sugar' for these pancakes. The only sweetness comes from the blueberrys...excellent if you have to restrict your sugar intake people! The pancakes were easy to mix up and although I was a little shocked by how thin the batter was...they cooked really easily and quickly and I didn't need the several minutes suggested in the recipe. And they also smelt delicious whilst they were cooking...and when the blueberries started to pop it added to the heavenly feeling surrounding me in the kitchen! lol. 

The results were a very tasty and light pancake. Personally I'm not a big 'sweet' breakfast fan...I love my savoury...but these were delicious as they weren't full of sugar or covered in sugary toppings. I served them with more blueberries and then made a very quick Banana Fluff drizzle which is one frozen banana and some soya milk...blitzed until smooth. It worked perfectly. 

More importantly My Love smiled the entire time they were being eaten! lol. I have a feeling I shall be making these often...lol. 

Thank you to Dreena Burton for another fab recipe! 

A stack of Blueberry Carob Pancakes with Banana Fluff Drizzle and more fresh blueberries..you can never have too many Blueberries! The humble opinion of my nephew M..lol

Dreena's Blueberry Carob Pancakes Made 14 sm-med pancakes
(Recipe from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan/Burton)

1 cup spelt flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbsp carob powder
1 1/2 cups of vanilla non dairy milk (I used soya with a dash of vanilla extract ~R~ ) 
1 tbsp canola/sunflower oil
1 cup fresh blueberries plus extra for scattering

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, and salt. Sift in the carob and baking powder and mix well. In a jug mix the milk and the 1 tbsp oil. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Just before cooking gently stir in the blueberries. 

Heat a large skillet/crepe/frying pan and using a piece of kitchen towel wipe the pan with a little oil. Heat the pan over a med-high heat and using a small ladle, spoon three separate scoops of batter into the hot pan. (My ladle is a small 50m/ 1/4 cup measure)

When the pancake has bubbles forming and the edges have turned a deeper colour you should be able to flip them over. It only took a couple of minutes on each side...and I got 14 out of the mix. When all are cooked and the banana fluff is blitzed...stack onto a plate...drizzle with banana fluff and drop a few blueberries over the top. Serve immediately. 

Enjoy eating these...we did! 
~R~