Saturday 13 August 2011

Noo's 'Rhub' Crumble or Rhubarb Crumble..

Kitchen Play List:  Pulp ~ A Different Class Album

Laptop permitting...I'm back. For how long...who can tell? But I do apologise once again for my absence. 

Today has been a lovely day, filled with the chaotic madness that only three little one's under the age of five can bring. And I love every mad moment of it. My Love is currently having a snooze. lol. It's always good to spend time with my sister and her little ones and today was no different. 

A couple of weeks ago they brought me some freshly picked rhubarb and blackberries from their garden and today we finally put the gorgeous sticks of loveliness to good use. We kept it simple as both My Love and my sister are 'crumble' addicts. My Love and Noo donned their aprons and got stuck in. So I take no credit for this recipe as it's all their creation. 

I have to say I didn't think I would ever agree to eating a crumble in the middle of summer but as it still looks like autumn outside, how could I refuse? It was eaten with custard and greatly enjoyed by all three big ones....the little ones devoured jellies instead! lol. Oh well..all 'kids' had a thoroughly good time eating pudding! 

Noo's Rhubarb Crumble..delish..good with custard, ice cream or on it's own!
Noo's Rhubarb Crumble  Serves 6
(Inspired by recipes handed down the generations...)

1lb 8 oz fresh rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2" slices
3 heaped tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water

5oz plain flour
4oz vegan margarine
3oz sugar

Place rhubarb, sugar and water into a microwave cooking bowl. Stir well and cover. On high cook for 2 minutes at a time, stirring and recovering until the rhubarb is soft. Approx time 6-8 minutes. Or cook in a pan with a little extra water until cooked. But you don't want it to be too watery at the end. 

In a bowl combine the flour and margarine until you have a breadcrumb consistency. Then mix in the sugar and stir well to combine. 

In a baking dish pour the rhubarb mixture and then cover with the crumble mix. Place in a pre-heated oven at 200'C/400'F/Gas Mark 6 for 35 minutes. 

Enjoy! 
~R~