Tuesday 4 October 2011

Cannellini Bean Stew

Kitchen Play List: One Foot in the Grave/L.Frost ~ Audio CD

This was the first ever vegan recipe I knowingly cooked. I had probably been cooking them without realising for years but when I made the conscious decision to make the change...this was it. And it's one of my most favourite autumnal recipes. The stew is vibrant to look at with the red from the tomatoes, orange from the carrots, specks of green from the leeks and the pale slices of parsnip. And because it's chock full of those veggies alongside the creamy beans its very satisfying in flavour. It's also quite filling depending on which starch you serve it with. I can eat it on it's own in a bowl and enjoy it. But I have served it with jacket potatoes, brown rice and even once with homemade potato wedges.  Last night I served it on a bed of steamed finely sliced red/purple cabbage and it was delicious.

So when I feel the first stirrings of autumn I pull out my large skillet and go to my cookbook library and take out Rose Elliot's cook book Low Fat, Low Sugar....and get cooking. Although I could easily cook it without the recipe there days..it's the ritual of welcoming my most favourite of seasons. 

Autumn is here...and so is Cannellini Bean Stew
Cannellini Bean Stew Serves 4
(Recipe from Low Fat, Low Sugar/Elliot)

2 onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
4 leeks, sliced
1 large parsnip, peeled and sliced
8oz carrots, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 14oz tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
11oz tin of sweetcorn, rinsed and drained 
1 14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
10oz tomato passata
freshly ground black pepper
chopped freshly parsley to serve


Put the onion into a non-stick skillet and cook without any additional fat or liquid, for 6-7 minutes, until it's flecked with brown, stirring it often to prevent sticking. Add the celery, leeks, parsnips, carrot and garlic; stir then cover again and cook over a gentle heat for a further 5 minutes, until all the vegetables are softening. Keep an eye on them and stir often to prevent sticking. 

Drain the beans and rinse in a sieve under cold water, then add to the pan, along with the sweetcorn, tomatoes and tomato passata. Bring to the boil, cover and then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for a further 20-30 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and fresh pepper. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.  


Worth another shot! lol
NB: I add the sweetcorn to my portion after cooking as it's one of My Loves food phobias..lol. Hence no sweetcorn in the photos. Just thought you should know..lol 

Hope you give it a try...Enjoy! 
~R~