Friday 14 October 2011

Hot and Sour Chickpeas

Kitchen Play List: Elkie Brooks ~ The Best of Album

I think I am the only person who is happy that Autumn is here. Seriously! lol When I voice my opinion of this beloved season, my enthusiasm is met with stony faces and grimaces. Shame, eh? Because this season can bring so much happiness if you opened yourself up to it. It's almost the same reaction I get to my beloved chickpeas too! lol. Although it's maybe more of a Marmite reaction...love em or hate em. I honestly do not understand what is not to love about the little beige globes of loveliness...OK maybe My Love has a fair point..I maybe I am an addict. But I never want to recover! 

So a couple of weeks ago, and then again last night, I had an evening of dining solo as My Love was working late. I decided to use these nights as an opportunity to cook all the dishes I don't get to when cooking for us both. My Love isn't as big a fan of chickpeas as I am...hence the Chana Masala..and last night it was Hot & Sour Chickpeas. I do intend to cook other things like..Sweet & Sour...dishes with Pineapple and even rice puddings...all things I don't cook usually..lol. But I'm getting my chickpea fix for now. 

This dish is very simple to make. And very tasty with the expected Wow! lol. I halved the recipe for myself but below is the original recipe. I also used tinned Jumbo Chickpeas in water for mine as a treat. lol. But any tinned chickpeas will work.  I can't take credit for this recipe as it's from a generic vegetarian cookbook with no author. 

Hot and Sour Chickpeas
Hot & Sour Chickpeas

3 tbsp veggie oil
2 onions, very finely chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground fenugreek 
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 x 14oz tins of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
12 fl oz veggie stock
1-2 fresh hot green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and micro grated
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
salt to taste
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley to garnish


In a small bowl mix together to chilli, ginger and lemon juice and leave to one side. 

My little bowl o' Hot and Sour
In a skillet heat the oil and saute the onions for 4-5 minutes or until they have started to brown at the edges. 


Add the tomatoes and continue cooking over a moderate heat for a further 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes have become pulpy. Stir in the ground spices and stirring constantly heat through for 30 seconds and the spices become fragrant. 


Add the chickpeas and veggie stock and stir well to combine. Season with salt. Stir again and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. If it becomes to dry you can add water. 


Just before serving stir in the Hot and Sour mix and stir well. Re-season with salt if you feel the need. 


Enjoy! 
~R~