Sunday 9 October 2011

Sunday Brunch ~ Omelette with mushrooms and shallots

Kitchen Play List: BBC Radio2 Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs

It's been a while since I've been well enough to be up and about on a Sunday morning to cook a brunch style breakfast. And for the last two weekends we have been on a detox so shouldn't have had one even if we wanted to. However we both agreed yesterday that it would be lovely to have an omelette today. I had some leftover Spicy Lentil filling from the Onion Pumpkins from earlier in the week and I offered to cook My Love some kind of mushroom concoction. It's quite hard cooking something that would make you ill if you ate it, isn't it? I love mushrooms raw..I love them cooked as long as they are cut up small and in things...but not as the main ingredient. But My Love does so I went with it and cooked a pan of slugs mushrooms as an omelette filling. 

I kept it really simple and finely chopped some shallots and one clove of garlic and sauteed them in a little sunflower oil until they were translucent. I peeled and chopped the mushroom cups and stalks and added them to the pan and let them cook down into their own juices for about 8 minutes. Covered them and removed them from the heat to finish cooking in the residual heat. Seasoned them with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and once the omelette was cooked I combined the two. 

Tofu Omelette with Mushrooms & Shallots
As stated above I had mine with leftover Spicy Lentils which were great. I always love making these omelettes and can't thank Susan V enough for this recipe. The recipe for them can be found by clicking on the link below for FatFreeVegan.com.  


Happy Sunday Brunch all...
~R~