Sunday 18 December 2011

Sunday Brunch ~ Seeded Bagels with Pimento Cashew Cheeze Spread & Mushroom Spread

Kitchen Play List: BBC Radio 2 ~ Steve Wrights Sunday Love Songs

Well..a simple Brunch I decided upon today. Simple. Yes..I bought the bagels yesterday as they looked too good not to! We haven't had a bagel for a while. And then my thought turned to the toppings...My Love wasn't feeling well with the Salicylate blues so I didn't want to risk making that worse by having any of our vegan sausages and tofu scrambles. No problem...I'll make a couple of nice spreads. Yeah..well that was where the simplicity ended. lol. 

I got up an hour before My Love to make this lovely brunch and then found an hour and a half later I was still making the bloody toppings! lol. "Ah well.." would usually be my response...but today it was almost a cooking disaster zone. My fault as I chose to try out two recipes I haven't used before. Yep I know..Rookie mistake..lol 

I had a tin of Pimentos in my stock cupboard and the exact amount of cashews needed for this recipe. So the first job was making this 'cheeze' spread for my bagel. I followed the recipe completely and ended up with a very saucey 'cheeze' spread. I poured * groan* it into a container, put the lid on and stashed it in my fridge...hoping that it would thicken up whilst it chilled..lol 

Next I moved onto the Mushroom Spread which was very simple to make..except that by the time I had trimmed the large punnet of mushrooms I had only 3/4 lb as opposed to the 1lb requested. The time consuming part of recipe wasn't down to the recipe at all..it was down to my rapidly declining blender. So it was A LOT of stop starting and spatula work. Great for this patient cook..lol. And personally for me...and those of you who are regulars will know this already...the smell of mushrooms and look of cooked mushrooms really aren't settling to this gal's stomach...lol And as cooked mushrooms resemble slugs to me...I spent the whole time feeling like I was blending slugs...Slug Spread...Nice! lol 

The Pimento Cashew 'Cheeze' Spread alas didn't thicken but the taste was good. I would maybe use a lot less Pimento and juice next time and slightly more cashews. But I enjoyed it on my bagel. The Slug Mushroom Spread..I can report from My Love..was really good. Smooth and mushroomy! But the first words were.."You would hate this!..." So true! lol The things you do for love. eh? 

So a Sunday Brunch that didn't exactly go to plan. But it was tasty and I definetely worked for it. The spread recipes come from Leah Leneman's cookbook Easy Vegan Cooking...lol..I know! 

If you have tried this recipe for Cashew cheese spread and had different results please feel free to contact me and offer advice..

Seeded Bagels with Pimento Cashew 'Cheeze' Spread and Mushroom Spread
4 seeded bagels ~ lightly toasted 


Pimento Cashew 'Cheeze' Spread
Pimento Cashew 'Cheeze' Spread
(Recipe from Easy Vegan Cooking/Leneman)

115g/4oz/ 3/4 cup cashew nuts
1 tin (200g/8oz) pimentos
1 tbs sesame seeds
1 tsp nutritional yeast 
 1/2 tsp onion salt
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp lemon juice

Grind the cashews and sesame seeds finely in a blender. Add the pimentos (including the juice) and the rest of the ingredients and blend thoroughly. 

Mushroom Spread ~ Salicylate Low Recipe
Mushroom Spread
(Recipe from Easy Vegan Cooking/Leneman)

455g/1lb/8 cups mushrooms
2 onions
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbsp vegan margarine
1-2 tbsp soy natural yoghurt
Sea salt to taste

Chop the mushrooms and onions and saute them in the oil and margarine until tender. 

Finely chop, mash or blend the mixture in a blender. 

Add the yoghurt and season to taste. Chill. 

Update 19.12.11 The pimento cashew cheeze used as a stir in sauce to freshly cooked pasta was delicious. Really very good. Just needed to share! ~R~
 


Enjoy! 
~R~