Tuesday 31 January 2012

I'm Giving 'Macro' a go...

Hello folks..please forgive my lack of posts over the weekend. The fall I had on Friday hit me harder than I realised on the day. So I've been keeping to myself and trying to keep it together. We did venture out on Sunday afternoon to visit our pals D & B which was a great relief and a much needed distraction from the pain. I guess it goes without saying that I didn't get back into the kitchen. But I still remain hopeful that it will happen soon. And when I do...I am going to try Macrobiotics for four months.

My bargain second hand copy of Modern Day Macrobiotics ~ Brown/Brown
I have to confess that I had always considered Macrobiotics as a fad. I was forming this opinion on no information, ignorance and a tiredness of the celebrity 'diets' culture. My first real contact was whilst reading The Kind Diet by Silverstone. I know..I know..it's not lost on me that I was reading a celeb cookbook..lol. The Kind Diet had been recommended to me so many times by other friends and some of my readers but because it was a 'celebrity' diet I didn't immediately take any interest. Then I made a recipe from someones blog and then when I left a comment on the site the next day..I found it was a recipe taken from The Kind Diet. So the next day, I paid a visit to my local library and found I could request a copy of the book. I did and I still have it checked out to this day...lol. It's sat next to me as I type..lol. I read the book from cover to cover and found that I was drawn very clearly to the Macrobiotic information and recipes. Armed with this information I started to research a little more, each day. I found that I was feeling increasing eager to try this way of eating and living.

I bought Modern Day Macrobiotics second hand, it came in the post last Thursday and I didn't get a chance to even glance inside the cover until Saturday evening. There was so much information to take in...I felt like I was cramming for an exam. lol. I found myself developing a new form of Tai Chi as I tried to get my brain to take in the energy information. So now I look at vegetables and hands fly into 'Up', 'Down', 'Out' and 'Horizontal' energies gestures..I am hopeful one day I won't have to do this but it really is helpful. lol. And I am still cramming...there is so much information to take in and cooking methods and the reasoning for it. It's also quite tricky to find some of the fermented products where I live. My Love was online last night buying packets of Burdock and Diakon seeds so we can get planting as soon as the cold weather is over. lol.

Why am I choosing to try this way of eating? Because I feel so ill and full of pain I need to feel like I am doing everything I possibly can to help myself. I need my op and I want to give myself the best possible outcome and recovery from it. The whole subject of 'eating to heal yourself' has always been interesting to me and I'm only surprised I didn't see the link with Macrobiotics before now. I'm staggered.

The book I'm reading has several different ways of using Macrobiotics and I am choosing the Healing Plan. Brown asks you to commit to the plan for 4 months and that is what I am going to do. I shall start it this weekend as I still need to purchase a few products first. Who knew Umboshi plums would be so hard to track down? lol. But I am excited and hopeful and fully prepared to commit to the four months and I shall share with you my daily findings...and of course the recipes and results. I shall also be cooking other recipes and creating my own as My Love isn't going to be following this plan...just me. So there will be a healthy and fun mix of recipes for you guys.

Is it going to be a challenge? Yes..most definitely. Am I going to want to throw the towel in at times? I should imagine so. It's going to take me out of my comfort zone and I would be naive to think it was going to be plain sailing through the four months. I am looking forward to the challenge and prepared to meet it head on. I want to feel well as soon as I can and I think this will help...

So my questions are...have you tried Macrobiotics? How did it make you feel? If you are Macrobiotic...what words of wisdom can you share with me? I would appreciate all words of advice...

I found a recipe I haven't blogged about in my archive yesterday and it's the final one. So that will be the post for tomorrow....I am at hospital on Thursday so I will be back on Friday.

Hope you all had a great weekend and your week is going well? Thank you for your loyalty during this period of ARGHHHHness. ;o)

~R~