Thursday 5 July 2012

Dev's Sweet Scones for the Perfect English Afternoon Tea

Rocket and Roses HQ Play List:

Live ~ Insomnia and the Universe
Luke Morley ~ Quiet Life
The Webb Sisters ~ Ferris Wheel
Dani Wilde ~ Miss You
Andrea Bocelli ~ La Voce Def Silenzio
Dolly Parton ~ Bargain Store
The Animals ~ Let The Good Times Roll
Charles Trenet ~ La Mer
Evanescence ~ Imaginary
KT Tunstall ~ Lost
Def Leppard ~ Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad?
Live ~ Where Fishes Go
Keane ~ Every Body's Changing
Madison Avenue ~ Edible French Chic

These scones were delicious...
Photos are also the work of the lovely Dev..I take no credit
I had the pleasure of eating one of these lovely scones on Sunday and I have to say I haven't eaten a scone this tasty in some time. I confess I struggle to make scones..as they usually end up coming out likes hockey pucks...but broken up and thrown placed outside, the birds really love them. lol.

Dev is a scone genius and she made me some date and walnut wholewheat scones once that blew my mind..lol. This scone recipe was all her own creation and I am more than happy to share it with you today..I have been waiting to get Dev's creations on here.

I was actually born in the area of England that is famous for its Cream Teas with scones etc. But it's always been a little lost on me because I have never liked cream even when I was vegetarian. I can appreciate a lovely soft scone filled with fresh strawberries as above..the strawberries were as tasty as they look too. In fact they are making my mouth water as I type this..lol. So to the recipe...

Dev's Sweet Scones  Makes approx 15 scones
(Original recipe from Dev)

Preheat over to Gas Mark 6/ 400'F/200'C. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.

Measure out 160ml soya milk. Add 1 tsp of good real vanilla extract and mix, leaving it to reach room temperature.

In a large bowl measure out 100g vegan margarine (use one with a high fat content eg Biona) and cut into chunks.

Sift over 400g white self raising flour, 2 scant tsps of baking powder and a pinch of salt.

Crumb together quickly and roughly. Stir in 30g castor sugar (Dev's NB: this is optional as they are also good without)

Taking the soya milk mix, add this in over three stages..and stir to form a soft dough but not a sticky dough.

Quickly and quickly knead the dough and then roll out on a floured surface to 3/4 " thick.

Using a round fluted edge cutter approx 2 1/4", cut out the rounds and place them on the baking sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes in the hot oven..turn the sheet..and then bake for another 2 minutes or until when tapped on the bottom they sound hollow. (Dev's NB: You do not need to wait for the tops to brown)

Turn out onto a rack and leave until cool.

Serve with a little vegan margarine, strawberry jam or fresh strawberries.

(Red's NB: Then devour!!! With a lovely cup of tea..)

Extra gratuitous shot..lol..Yum!
It was a pleasure to bring this recipe to you today and I hope it made your mouth water as much as it did mine..lol. And thank you to the wonderful Dev for sharing this with me and taking great photos.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is being very good to you?

~R~