Saturday 6 October 2012

Brunch: Isa's Chard Frittata

Rocket & Roses Kitchen Play List:

De-Lovely OST Album

I am mentally doing a happy dance because today I spent some time in the kitchen. It was painful and exhausting but with the help of my new kitchen bitch sous chef I made a frittata with some of the beautiful ruby chard ML had picked up this week. After the frittata was put in the oven to do its thing..I then quickly created a soup recipe for my sous chef to make..to test his skills..lol. I'll post that in a couple of days. Smells good too.

Isa's wonderful cookbook Vegan Brunch has given the vegan community so many delicious recipes and this is one of my particular favourites. It was the first one we tried when I bought the book. We had a plentiful supply of chard at that time so it was a regular brunch choice. So the first recipe that came to mind, when given the bunches of chard, was this one.

Isa's Chard Frittata..complete with seasonal decorative pumpkin..lol.
Isa's Chard Frittata Serves 2-4
(Recipe from Vegan Brunch/Moskowitz)

1 tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced (see end of recipe for notes)
1 bunch of chard, rough bottoms chopped off & discarded,
..slice the remaining stems thinly then slice the leaves.
2 tsp dried oregano

1 lb firm or extra firm tofu (I press mine before use ~R~)
1 tbsp soy sauce (I use Reduced Sodium ~R~)
1 tsp prepared mustard (I use Dijon ~R~)
1/4 tsp turmeric
fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 400f/200c/Gas Mark 6

Preheat a large, heavy-bottomed pan over med-low heat. Add the oil and the garlic and the chopped stems for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally..until the stems are tender. Add the chard and the dried oregano and mix well to combine. Saute the chard mix for about 5 minutes, adding some splashes of water if the pan dries out. Cook until completely wilted.

Meanwhile squeeze your tofu over the sink to get some of the liquid out. Place the tofu in a bowl and crumble between your fingers until you have a ricotta consistency. Add the soy sauce, mustard, turmeric, black pepper, and yeast to the tofu and mix well. When your chard is finished cooking add it to the tofu mix and stir well to combine.

Add the mixture to a greased 8" pie plate or frittata skillet and press down to ensure an even surface. Place in the heated oven and then bake for 20 minutes until the frittata is firm and lightly browned on top. Let cool for about 3 minutes, then invert onto a plate and serve.

NB: If you don't like garlic..I have used minced shallots in place of the garlic and it was delicious.

Thanks for stopping by...and I hope your Saturday is being very good to you..

~R~