Sunday 11 November 2012

Sunday Brunch: Isa's Sesame Tofu Scramble and greens with Yams..well..sweet potato..

Rocket & Roses Wales Play List:
 
David Bowie ~ Rebel Rebel
Jack Johnson ~ They Do, Don't They
Jim Reeves ~ I Won't Forget You
Jace Everett ~ Everything I Want
Thunder ~ Gimme Some Lovin' Live
Tina Dico ~ Undone
Imelda May ~ Inside Out
T-Rex ~ I Love To Boogie
Jim Reeves ~ Four Walls
Robbie Williams ~ Lovelight
Beats International ~ Dub Be Good To Me
Mr.Mister ~ Broken Wings
Beth Rowley ~ Only One Cloud
Skin ~ Shine Your Light

Firstly an update...

Well we arrived at our cottage in Wales...it was amazingly beautiful...calm and peaceful...but a complete dead zone for mobiles and WIFI for miles around. So we were in effect cut the heck off from the rest of the world..unless we drove miles to find a signal. And we didn't do much of that either because we had car disasters, so much if it was a movie it would've been very funny. So we spent a lot of time cosied up in the Nook, as it became known. ML playing with the log burner fire...and reading. The almost constant rain was awesome (please remember I am one of those rain loving creatures..lol) as we had skylights everywhere and the rain became a soothing balm as our stress levels crept higher over the week. Oh well..we tried eh? I shall be posting up some blogs over the coming week with tales of the things we did do. And one of my achievements of the week was to finally get a 7 letter word out on Scrabble!!! Which meant I won a game...at last. There was some serious smiling that night..lol. Rock and Roll eh? lol. Anyway...now we are caught up and I shall get back to the brunch...~R~

I was so happy that I managed to cook at least two dishes whilst away...ok..three if you include the disaster...Ahem. lol...anyway. The first dish I made was Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Sesame Scrambled Tofu and Greens with Yams from her Vegan Brunch cookbook. I love this dish and I have to admit that I function better on a breakfast like this and I am increasingly having more problems with wheat...which is a great shame as I love wholewheat pasta and noodles. *dramatic sigh* lol. On our way in to Wales we stopped at a Morrisons supermarket which are now stocking the most amazing selection of fresh veggies...so I stocked up on Green Kale, Purple Kale, Beets with their greens still attached (believe me this is a marvel for here!!) and some beautiful Swiss Chard. And as we can never get Yams here so I subbed them out for sweet potatoes.


© Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen
Sunday Brunch: Isa's delightful Scrambled Tofu and Greens with Yams/Sweet Potato
Isa's Sesame Scrambled Tofu and Greens with Yams/Sweet Potato
(Recipe from Vegan Brunch/Moskowitz)  Serves 2 - 4

1 tbsp toasted sesame oil plus extra for drizzling
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakeso
1 pound of extra firm tofu (I used 1 pkt of Cauldron tofu ~R~)
1 bunch of leafy greens, chopped (I used lush green kale ~R~)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 medium-size yams or sweet pots, baked, cooled, peeled and cut into bite sized
morsels
3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Preheat a large pan over a medium heat. Saute garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes in the oil for about a minute. Tear the tofu into bite-size pieces or to your preference and add them to the pan. Turn the heat up and saute for about 5 minutes, until the tofu is lightly browned.

Add the greens and soy sauce. Saute for about 7 minutes, or until the greens have completely cooked down. (Collards may take longer than chard or kale) Splash some water into the pan if needed. Add the yams/sweet pots and gently stir just to cook through, being careful not to mush them too much.

Transfer scrambled tofu to bowls and drizzle each serving with additional sesame oil, maybe a tsp per serving. Sprinkle generously with sesame seeds and serve. Enjoy.

NB: I take no credit for the creation of this recipe. It is the work of the very talented vegan guru Isa Chandra Moskowitz...and if you haven't already bought this book...then shame on you! lol ~R~

Now this does make a good panful so I ate it for breakfast for a few days lol. But where on earth was the hardship in that? lol. And it does get hotter with each day thanks to the chili flakes. But a great start to the day...and for brunch I usually serve it with a slice of good GF toast and a strong black coffee...or a Chamomile Tea...

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Sunday is a great one...we are now away to get the little four legged fella from his holiday home..that's of course if he wants to leave...lol

~R~