Sunday 17 March 2013

Brunch: Black Olive & Cheese Toasties (GF & Vegan)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Dave Gahan ~ A Little Lie
Brandie Carlile ~ Happy
Sarah McLachlan ~ Plenty
Berlin ~ Take My Breath Away
Maroon 5 ~ Tickets
Rod Stewart ~ The Killing of Georgie
Hootie & The Blow Fish ~ Sad Caper
The Cranberries ~ Desperate Andy
The Fratellis ~ Flathead
Alanis Morrisette ~ Not The Doctor
Lissie ~ Pursuit of Happiness
Alison Moyet ~ More
Beth Hart ~ Hold Me Through The Night
Soul Asylum ~ Misery

The humble toasted sandwich...how I miss them since I've been trying to reduce the wheat in my diet. I don't think I realised how much I enjoyed bread until I started this venture. My Dad is a professional baker and my Mum a breadaholic so I guess it was written into my DNA..thanks guys. lol. There is something comforting about bread...and all the wonderful many ways of eating it. Isn't there?

Recently I've been very lucky and found a GF bread loaf in my local supermarket. It is a lentil flour based bread and it looks like wheat bread, feels like wheat bread and can be used as wheat bread can be used...as long as you are very gentle with it..lol. And if you try and ignore the strange coating you get on your teeth after eating it...you could almost maybe believe it's wheat bread. But for now it's the closest I can get...but the one way I hadn't tried it, was in the humble toastie.

As I am still craving olives I knew I wanted an olive based toastie for brunch today. I had some white cheddar style Cheezly soy cheese in the fridge and the toastie was set from there.

A comforting brunch...with a side order of sunshine..


Black Olive & Cheese Toasties Makes 1

2 slices of GF or bread of your choice
black olives, stoned and sliced
white cheddar style cheezly, thinly sliced (wafer thin..lol)

Heat a sandwich toaster or skillet. Place the slices of cheese on one slice of bread, scatter the sliced olives over the cheese and then place the other slice on top.

Then place the sandwich in the toaster or skillet and cook until the bread is golden brown on both sides.

Then eat...lol It's really not a recipe, is it? lol.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Sunday is a fantastic day....

~Red~