Wednesday 24 April 2013

ML's Beany Cottage Pie

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Christina Perri ~ Lovestrong Album

ML is away on the work travels this week taking in a quick stop in Amsterdam and then onto Detmold Germany. So ML was very busy at the weekend making up fresh meals to stock the fridge for me. It's a beautiful thing that ML does this for me...but I will be so pleased when I can get back in the kitchen and do things for myself. A large vat of Cocido was made along with a new creation of ML's. A beany based Cottage Pie...the photos were last minute so apologies for the slight fussiness but in ML's defence the kitchen was a production line of vegan foods. lol. A huge box of salad for my enjoyment...I am one lucky duck! lol.

Although we've enjoyed some sunshine here lately its been quite cold and on some occasions bitterly cold. So the thought of having portions of Cottage Pie in the fridge ready to heat up was comforting. The way Cottage Pie should be enjoyed eh?

ML made the base using a mix of black beans (trying to up my Iron intake) and black eyed peas in a not too heavily tomatoey based sauce. It's the topping with Cottage Pie I always struggle with and if I'm making them I tend to double the base and halve the topping on it. Although I did see a great idea for placing a potato ring around the outside of a pie which I will try soon. When I make my favourite version of this dish...and I've blogged it on here...I usually use a potato and parsnip mash combination. But for this one..I hinted to ML about trying a potato/cauliflower version. And that is exactly what ML did...

Now I love this pie...I love it because its not stodgy as some Cottage/Shepherds Pies can be. The base is gloriously beany and the topping is light but still indulgent and I love the added cauliflower taste. I've been happily eating this all week...and it will freeze fantastically as well for future work trips..lol. I hope you give this a try....

ML's Beany Cottage Pie
ML's Beany Cottage Pie

1 tin of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tin of black eyed beans, rinsed and drained
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, grated
10 mushrooms, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
salt ~ optional
freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 lb of mashed potato
1 small cauli, cooked and mashed

Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the onion until soft. Add the garlic and cook down for a further minute. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes and beans along with the beans and let simmer for 15 minutes. Season to preferred taste. Place the bean mixture into a baking dish and spread to smooth out the surface and set to one side.

Take the mashed potato and cauli and mix together until thoroughly combined. Scoop large spoonfuls over the beany base and then using a fork spread out the mash to cover the beany base. Place in a hot oven until the topping is a deep golden brown and then serve. (Approx 30 minutes)

Enjoy!

Gratuitous Comfort Food shot....golden topped
glorious beany base. Yum!
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a great week...

~Red~