Monday 26 August 2013

Ecuadorean Quinoa & Vegetable Soup/Stew

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Janiva Magness ~ Homewrecker
Maroon 5 ~ Never Gonna Leave This Bed
Ugly Kid Joe ~ Madman
Holly Williams ~ Without You
The Eagles ~ Learn To Be Still
VAST ~ Sunday I'll Be Gone
The Fratellis ~ C**try Boys & City Girls
The Cult ~ She Sells Sanctuary
Tina Dico ~ Back Where We Started
The Pretenders ~ Popstar
PCD ~ Jai Ho!
Soundgarden ~ I Awake
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ Life Without You
Shania Twain ~ I Won't Leave You Lonely

Now when making, testing and reviewing recipes I grade them out of 10 as well writing up my thoughts. And it is a very rare day that anything ever gets past the 8 mark. So for something to get 9 or 10 means it really rocked my foodie world. lol. You can imagine my surprise when I found myself grading this soup.....a whopping....12! I could eat this soup everyday and never tire of it. And not to mention the goodness in every mouthful..it's a win/win as far I am concerned.

It's perfectly spiced...a good mix of veggies to stock...and satisfying without being too filling...and did I mention just a pleasure to eat??? lol. This recipe was found online and had been adapted from a Moosewood recipe and I have slightly adapted it further...it's a meal in a bowl and also makes you smile the entire time you are eating it.



Ecuadorean Quinoa & Vegetable Soup/Stew  Serves 6
(Recipe origins Moosewood and then adapted)

1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa, rinsed well and drained
2 cups of chopped onions
1 cup of diced potato
1 cup of chopped red bell pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups of veggie stock
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 cup of diced courgette/zucchini
2 tins of pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Heat the oil and add the onions, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.

Add in the drained quinoa, potatoes, bell pepper, herbs and spices, stock and tomatoes and stir to combine. Cover and bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add in the courgettes and beans, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Serve...

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week starts well..its a National Holiday here so we shall be packing more boxes and then kicking back with friends...

~Red~