Wednesday 7 August 2013

Rocket & Roses Black Quinoa and Veggie Salad

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

The Eagles ~ I Can't Tell You Why
Imelda May ~ Tainted Love
Beth Hart ~ Take It Easy On Me
Otis Redding ~ I Can't Turn You Loose
Gina Sicilia ~ You Set My Heart On Fire
Justin Timberlake ~ Rock Your Body
Kid Rock ~ Cold and Empty
Bill Withers ~ Lovely Day
Alter Bridge ~ Ghosts of Days Gone By
Chris Cornell ~ Get Up
Gina Sicilia ~ Addicted
Dido ~ Let's Do The Things We Normally Do
U2 ~ With or Without You
VAST ~ The Last One Alive

Yes! You did in fact read that correctly...I have been creating...in the kitchen!!! I know, right? lol OK so the creation was mine and the work that of ML's but hey, it's a start. First of many I hope..

My plan of reducing my wheat intake kinda went a little screwy lately and I have been eating a lot of sandwiches and pre-made vegan foods that contain wheat....and yeast. Of which I am beginning to suspect that very combo together is the irritant. And I can feel the effects of eating this way hurting my body again so time to change. I am once again craving fresh and freshly cooked foods and have to make time to sort this out despite how busy I am making this move possible. I need to move from here and I need to feel better to do so...so I need to eat well. It's not rocket science is it? But when busy..you make not so good and convenient choices.

So today I started my day with a GF Granola mix that is packed with seeds and GF Oats soaked in almond milk and fresh strawberries scattered over it. And for lunch I wanted a salad bowl but something slightly different. Recently I had purchased a box of black Quinoa and had been waiting for the right time to make something with it. Today was that day.

I wanted a completely cold salad and so cooked off the quinoa and left it to cool completely. I also wanted a rainbow of veggies in it and a good legume. Too be honest the process was one a very simple one and the results were a wholesome and tasty salad bowl which will be a regular in the R & R kitchen.

Rocket & Roses Black Quinoa & Veggie Salad

Rocket & Roses Black Quinoa & Veggie Salad Serves 4-6
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 cup of black quinoa, rinsed vigorously and drained
2 cups of low sodium veggie stock or water
1 garlic clove, grated

1 small carrot, peeled and grated
1 small courgette, grated
2 med-lg mushrooms, peeled and sliced
1 red mini pepper, small diced
1 orange mini pepper, small diced
1 yellow mini pepper, small diced
1 tin of black eyed beans, rinsed well and drained
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped

2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil or oil of your pref
3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano, rubbed between fingers into the dressing

Place the quinoa, stock and garlic in a saucepan and bring to the boil...stirring once. Then leave to gently boil for approx 10 minutes. Then remove from the heat and cover and leave for the remaining juices to soak up and for it to cool completely.

In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar and oregano and set to one side.

In a large bowl put the cooled quinoa and stir/fluff in the dressing and mix well to distribute. Then add the chopped veggies and stir well once more. Season with salt and pepper if you wish but I didn't feel the need to.

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week is going well?

~Red~