Friday 25 October 2013

Beet Greens Smoothie

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Sinatra ~ Moon River
Shania Twain ~ When You Kiss Me
Deacon Blue ~ Wages Day
VAST ~ Thrown Away
VAST ~ Flames
Otis Reading ~ My Lover's Prayer
Tina Dico ~ A New Situation
Thunder ~ Everybody Wants Her
Caro Emerald ~ Back It Up
Garbage ~ Cherry Lips
AC/DC ~ Highway To Hell
Suede ~ Animal Nitrate
Sting ~ I Was Brought To My Senses
Melissa Etheridge ~ Lover Please

Happy Friday all...we made it! lol. Today i am very busy...I am having a major restyle of my hair so I will be going from mid back length to 'just' on the shoulder length..yikes. Very nervous..but the last time I made changes like this I went from down to my ass to pixie short. So I'm hoping that..1. I don't feel frumpy..2. It feels and looks great. Nervous much??? lol. Also tonight I have M my nephew coming to stay over for the first time and I don't know who is more excited but he has been packed for a few days..lol. I used to have his Mum and our brothers come and stay with me when they were little so it feels very Generational...is that word right? OK, OK...It makes me feel very aware of the age difference...OK! OK! It makes me feel old! Hush! But I am really looking forward to snuggling up with my little 6 4/5th year old nephew and watching a cartoon or two..munching on popcorn and just spending time. It has all the makings for a great day...*gulp*...unless my hair is a disaster and it freaks M out and he cries the entire time and wants to go home. Anyway....so please enjoy this Smoothie post I wrote during the week....and I'll be back tomorrow. Wish me luck? ~Red~ 

Now if someone had told me a year ago that I would be willingly placing the vibrantly coloured and natural beauty that is Beet Greens into my blender with an avocado...blitzing them together and then drinking them...well I would've laughed my ass off. Because up until recently it was rare that you ever were offered beetroots with their greens intact..and if they were...they were so beautiful steamed or added to cooked dishes that the thought of blending them to smithers would've made me tearful.  And if I'm honest I still probably wouldn't have made a smoothie with them today...but ML was in charge of smoothie duties this morning and threw them in the mix. They make a great smoothie and I've enjoyed every drop today...and I was getting a little smoothied out. This smoothie was silky and pleasantly flavoured without being overly sweet and no bitterness that you can sometimes get with other green leafies. Next time I manage to purchase beets with greens intact I shall maybe compromise and cook half and smoothie half. And getting a regular supply of beet greens means a great excuse to go to my favourite Farmshop. Woo!

When it comes to the smoothies I have long since given up trying to make them look anything other than green..lol So here comes the recipe instead....

Beet Greens ~ Natural Beauty

Wash and drain a lush bunch of beet green leaves and place them into a blender with...







one peeled banana...straight into the leaves and then...





...take the flesh of one avocado and toss that into the mix....can you feel all those healthy fats....lol 



then add a small punnet of cleaned and hulled strawberries and drop them in......




...and then add 4 cups of fresh and clean mineral water to the blender and blitz away until smooth....

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday is a great one...

~Red~