Thursday 31 October 2013

Blueberry & Chia Seed Jam

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

ZZ Ward ~ Till The Casket Drops Album 

Being a savoury foodie I have always been of the opinion that sweet things do have their place and can be enjoyable. lol. I know this isn't a popular view and know many men and women who would crawl over hells embers to get to chocolate and other sweet treats. However I do admit to enjoying the very best of sweet treats..hot toast with jam or marmalade. My jam preferences being blackcurrant or strawberry and my marmalade choice being a good orange or lime one. My mouth is watering at the thought of lime marmalade and due to my recent fall I have no appetite at all so that's a good thing..

But because jam in its natural state is loaded with sugar...and the reduced sugar varieties are usually crammed with sweeteners and other nasties I abstain from jam and marmalade. Eating it on High Days and Holidays...until last week when I found this recipe posted by anon. I read through the recipe and looked at the accompanying photo and thought..."Wow...if this works it would be fantastic." So the next day I was asking ML to pick up some blueberries for me. Then I fell downstairs...slight kink in my plan...so I had to ask ML to then make the jam for me. Which happened and then the jam was put into the fridge and well..we forgot about it. Ooops! lol. But to be fair we've had other things to worry about. 

Today we cracked open the container and got schmearing on the multi grain crackers that I reviewed last week. The chia seeds really do work and the jam is set to perfection. The freshness of this jam was very enjoyable. In the recipe they used Maple syrup as the small amount of sweetener but we used Agave. So the jam wasn't at all sweet...but it had that good blueberry flavour. I would maybe up the Agave just a little next time and I fully intend on trying this recipe out with all berries. Who knew that Chia Seeds could be so versatile..lol. 

Blueberry & Chia Seed Jam on Multi Grain Crackers
 


Blueberry & Chia Seed Jam

2 cups of fresh blueberries
1/4 chia seeds
2-3 tbsp maple syrup or agave

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until everything is well mixed. Put the mixture in a covered container. Place in the fridge for a good few hours. Once its set, use it as a topping for toast, yoghurt, waffles or porridge.

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is a great one...

~Red~

NB:   To whoever created this recipe...Kudos! and thanks...great recipe and I would happily give credit where it's due if you get in touch. Namaste ~R~