Monday 7 October 2013

Colleen's Split Pea Soup

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Audioslave ~ Exploder
Nerina Pallot ~ The Right Side
Lacuna Coil ~ Stately Lover
Sandi Thom ~ Time
The Gossip ~ Heavy Cross
Buckcherry ~ Sorry
Sammy Davis Jr ~ Let There Be Love
All Saints ~ Black Coffee
The Virginmarys ~ Bang Bang Bang
Sufjan Stevens ~ I Want To Be Well
Beth Hart ~ Ain't No Way
Alanis Morrisette ~ Forgiven (acoustic)
Bowie ~ Heroes
Audioslave ~ Bring Em Back Alive

I am flying solo again folks..ML is off working overseas (well technically under sea as Eurostar is the transportation this time..lol) and I am using this week to try and push some boundaries. I am going to be sensible..ahem..ok so I may do too much but I have to try. As I type, I have Bowie's Heroes playing in the background...no one else is going to be my hero...that I have to be for myself. But I do have a number of people on stand by in case I get in over my head lol. Thankfully. So....

The blog update is that things are coming along albeit slowly and we have two major new snags we are trying to sort out...although they are more related to Bloggers formatting...*expletive therapy* and many people are having the same problem...so my mantra for this week is....It's during the darkest of times that true friendship shines most brightly...and that is a very personal one and the lovely friends who it is for will know its them...or at least they should! lol. The text box is frozen but the problem is being worked on.

It's been very sunny here this weekend and quite warm at times but we are most definitely heading into deep autumn weather. Now, not that we ever need an excuse to eat wholesome and homemade soups in the R&R kitchen but I was inspired to request a huge pot of one of my favourite autumn soups for this weeks lunches...and most likely dinners too! lol The recipe is the creation and hard work of Colleen Patrick-Goudreau from her fantastic cookbook The Vegan Table and I can't believe I haven't blogged it before now...but it seems I haven't so you lucky folks get it today. Now I strongly urge you to buy CPDs cookbook..its treasured in my collection. I adapted mine more in the method of cooking than any of the ingredients. I place everything in my slowcooker the night before and leave it to cook overnight. The soup you get is thicker than CPDs version but I kinda like that about it because when I am craving this soup I am also craving that comfort factor. And I also hate slightly under cooked split peas...urgh. Do not get me started on The Great Yellow Split Peas cooking disaster...*shudder* But I shall post CPDs cooking method...mine is simply this...all ingredients into the slow cooker and cook for 10 hours on LOW. Simple..

Colleen's Split Pea Soup with Spelt & Sunflower Roll


Colleen's Split Pea Soup           Makes 4-6 servings
(Recipe from The Vegan Table/Patrick-Goudreau)

2 cups/450g green split peas
6-7 cups/1410-1645ml water or veggie stock
1 med onion, diced
2 potatoes, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp dried mustard (I used 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp liquid smoke or liquid animos
salt and pepper to season to taste

Rinse the spilt peas and check for stones etc. Then place all ingredients except the salt and pepper in a large soup pan. and bring to a simmer. Cover loosely and cook until peas are tender, 1 hour or longer. Check occasionally to make sure water has not being completely evaporated. Heat should be low-medium.

The resulting soup should be thick and creamy, with the split peas quite broken down and mushy. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Monday is as pain free as possible...

~Red~