Wednesday 23 October 2013

Sarah Britton's Daikon Roll Ups with Miso Mint Pea Filling

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Anna Nalick ~ Catayst
Dead Sara ~ Dear Love
The Pretenders ~ Night In My Veins
Maroon 5 ~ Sad
VAST ~ When We First Met
Soundgarden ~ Flower
Bach: Cello Suite #5 in C Minor
Bowie ~ Diamond Dogs
VAST ~ I'm Dying (Live)
The Zutons ~ Why Won't You Give Me Your Love?
Madonna ~ Frozen
Live ~ Voodoo Lady
Camille Thomas & Beatrice Berutt ~ Sonata for Cello and Piano in G Minor
Gin Wigmore ~ Poison

Today I ventured into the realms of vegan sushi...at last..I have been waiting for so long. And although this dish isn't rice based it pretty much taught me one thing. Impatience and sushi making are not compatible. lol. So after rolling the first two rolls....I sat down at my counter and took a deep breath and zenned out. In fact by the end I was finding it very peaceful and although I was tired (not because of the rolling..just the usual) I found I enjoyed it. I cannot wait to get started on all the other sushi recipes I have tucked away....

I found this recipe posted on Pinterest and it took some doing but I found the creator of this recipe.  It was the hard work of Sarah Britton over at My New Roots. Although her original recipe wasn't vegan it didn't take much to make it so...a simple exchange of honey for agave nectar. I confess I made the filling a couple of days ago and stored it in the fridge. So today all I had to do was peel strips from my Daikon root and then fill and roll. I have been trying to find new ways of using Daikon and made a smashing Noodle Salad with part of one last week and today I used up another third of it. It keeps really well and being able to make three dishes out of one root is a bargain, eh? 

These rolls are so delicious..they are fresh due to the fact that they are raw and the complimentary layers of flavours. Also the textures...in Britton's original recipe she uses Pea Shoots in the centre of hers but I subbed them for carrots and also added a few sprouted beans. I adapted the recipe to suit my tastes. These rolls are light and you really feel like you are enjoying the healthiest of delicacies and still retain that indulgence factor. Try them for yourself...

Daikon Roll Ups with Miso Mint Pea Filling

Daikon Roll Ups with Miso Mint Pea Filling    Makes 14-16
(Original recipe by Sarah Britton - adapted for the RRVKitchen) 

20 slices of Daikon root, to allow for breakages
1 tbsp brown rice vinegar 
1 tbsp of ginger juice, instructions below
2 tsp agave syrup

2 cups shelled green peas (I used thawed frozen)

3 tbsp white miso 
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
lemon zest & 1 tbsp lemon juice 
sea salt to taste (optional)
1/4 cup black sesame seeds 
shredded carrot & sprouted beans to garnish 

To make the pea filling: 
Cook the peas in boiling water for 2 minutes to take off the raw edge and then plunge in cold water to stop cooking. Or use them raw (I chose this method) if preferred. In a blender place the peas and the remaining filling ingredients. And blend until the mixture is smooth. Season to taste and set to one side.

In a dry skillet gently heat the sesame seeds until they are fragrant but be careful not to let them scorch. Then place them into a dish to cool.

Shred a carrot into thin strips..I used my spiralpeeler...

Peel a large lump of ginger and then grate with a micrograter and then squeeze the grated flesh and fill a tbsp measure. Place the juice, vinegar and agave nectar into a large bowl and then whisk together. Place the Daikon strips into the bowl and coat the strips in the marinate. 

The glorious Daikon

Leaving the daikon strips to marinate, clear your counter and set up a space with board for rolling, pot with the seeds in, pea filling plus spatula and your shredded carrots and sprouts.

Take a strip from the bowl and lay it flat on the board. Take a spoonful of the pea filling and smooth it down the strip but stopping an inch before the other end of the strip. This will be outside of your roll and if filled it will spill out everywhere. Believe me!!! lol. Sprinkle with a pinch of the seeds and place the carrot at the end that you will start rolling. And roll gently until it is rolled completely..then secure with a toothpick. Place on a serving dish and repeat until you are out of strips. Sprinkle remaining seeds over the rolls and some sprouted beans. 

Serve and enjoy! 

Gratuitous foodie close up...

Many thanks to Sarah Britton for a great creation and inspiring me to get started on my vegan sushi plans. Namaste. 

Thank you for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been filled with happiness...

~Red~