Sunday 20 October 2013

Sunday Brunch: Leftovers Treat: Baked Eggplant on Spelt Bread Sandwich

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Radio 4 Desert Island Discs Podcasts:
Dawn French
Martina Navratilova
John Bishop
Tim Minchin
Jamie Cullum
Martin Clunes

Today's brunch recipe was a no brainer...with leftovers in the fridge from a meal I made earlier in the week and some Spelt bread freshly made by ML...it would've been rude not to indulge. I created, tested out and enjoyed making Baked Eggplant with Marinara Sauce and it made quite a few portions. I even got the little ones yesterday to try some and they on the whole liked it. My very cute nephew who is losing his baby teeth at the rate of knots...loved it..whilst it was hot. lol.

Our day yesterday was a fabulous family day..filled with the sounds of the little ones playing and ML reading stories whilst my sister and I talked weddings. Family lunch was eaten together around the table and I loved every moment. Late afternoon the hairdresser came to my house and she tried out different styles for my sisters big day. So many 'lump in my throat' moments and nervous excitement crackled the air as it's only a few weeks away now.

Having had two very busy days, by the evening I was wilting somewhat. lol. I think I had maybe overdone it but wouldn't have done anything different. So this morning I knew my brunch had to be simple to put together.

Brunch: Baked Eggplant Sandwich with veggies.

My marinara sauce had been quite liquid so I took a 1/4 cup measure and filled it up and then left the sauce to drain off a little in a fine mesh strainer. I cut two slices off of the Spelt loaf and sliced my side veggies. I heated up my Baked Eggplant and then the sauce. I didn't add anything else to the sandwich....when the sauce was warm I schmeared it over both slices of the bread. I added some freshly cracked black pepper to the slices. 

Gratuitous close up...oozing with marinara and eggplant...

Then it was layering the baked eggplant slices and sitting down to enjoy every mouthful. And it really worked as a sandwich...delicious. Although I know the Spelt bread wasn't in keeping with the Gluten Free aspect..a good GF bread would also make for a great sandwich. So tasty...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Sunday is a very chilled one...

~Red~