Thursday 14 November 2013

D.K's Hunan-Style Tomato, Potato and Cauliflower Soup with Chilli Peppers

Rocket & Roses Holiday Play List:

Joan Jett ~ Cherry Bomb
Melissa Etheridge ~ If You Want To
Gorillaz ~ Dare
Moulin Rouge OST ~ Sparkling Diamonds
Lenny Kravitz ~ Always On The Run
Timothy B. Schmit ~ I Don't Mind
Sara Sant'Ambrogio ~ Polonaise Brillante Op 3
KORN ~ Let's Get The Party Started
Court Yard Hounds ~ Delight
Fun Lovin' Criminals ~ The Grave and The Constant
Bob Marley ~ Rock Steady
VAST ~ Thrown Away
Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band ~ Blue on Black
The Band Perry ~ Quittin' You

Yesterday was all about taking some quiet time and resting and relaxing at the holiday apartment. ML ventured out and down the path to the beach but confirmed that the walk back up would have been impossible for me. Dang! Ah well...I kept myself busy making a new soup recipe from my chosen holiday cookbook Donna Klein's A Chinese Vegan Kitchen. Although it was bright and sunny outside it was blowing a gale and very chilly so taking my photos out on the balcony was fun lol. Not to mention the seagulls, magpies and jackdaws that have decided our roof is a great place to fly to meet for a squawk...sheesh when will they learn that I can admire them from a great distance but not close up..at least not that bloody close! Urgh. So after the kitchen duties were over I got settled on the sofa with a cup of mint tea, some brazil nuts, Eddie Izzard's Definite Article DVD with the sound of the waves in the background. I laughed so much...it hurt and there was tears but worth it...Izzard never fails...

There is never enough soup recipes in my opinion and this one is going to be made often. I chose it because it was cauliflower based and an opportunity to have some white potato. It was easy to make and the results were a hot but not Yikes hot soup with tender veggies. The cauliflower, tomato, potato and chilli peppers were a great combination and the stock was just perfectly spiced.

The bowl I used for the photo was a new addition and bought on Tuesday..we got it for a steal as the spoon had a chip in it. To be honest I only wanted the bowl and lid..and when I tried to use the spoon to eat my lunch...well...it didn't fit in my mouth. I have a small mouth! Stop it..I can hear you laughing...it's a medical fact thank you very much. Honestly!...lol Anyway..the spoon will just be dressing from now on. Oh hush...right I am going to the recipe...lol

Hunan-Style Tomato, Potato and Cauliflower Soup with Chilli Peppers

Hunan-Style Tomato, Potato and Cauliflower Soup with Chilli Peppers  Serves 4
(Recipe from A Chinese Vegan Kitchen/Klein)

1 tbsp peanut oil (I used 1/2 tbsp canola)
1-2 fresh red chilli peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1lb boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into small dice
1lb cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces 
2 med tomatoes, about six oz each, peeled and seeded and chopped
4 cups reduced sodium veggie stock
2 cups water 
1-2 tbsp of reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 scallions/spring onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1 tbsp toasted dark sesame oil
1 tsp chilli paste or to taste
2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp of water

In a wok or large deep sided skillet heat the oil over a med-high heat. Add the chilli pepper, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, cauliflower and tomatoes and cook stirring for 2 minutes. Add the stock, water, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to med-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender but not mushy, 20-30 minutes. Add the scallions/spring onions, sesame oil, chilli paste and cornstarch mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve warm....

Enjoy....

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is a good one...

~Red~ 

Many thanks once again to Donna Klein for a great cook book...respect.