Sunday 29 December 2013

Brunch: Tofu Omelette with Dry Spiced Cabbage Filling

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Tina Dico ~ Back Where We Started
Meredith Brooks ~ Cosmic Woo Woo
Bing Crosby ~ Swinging On A Star
Pearl Jam ~ Future Days
The Thompson Twins ~ Lies
The Gossip ~ Love And Let Love
Lenny Kravitz ~ Come On And Love Me
Kid Rock ~ U Don't Know Me
Melissa Etheridge ~ When You Find The One
Gin Blossoms ~ 29
Airbourne ~ Loaded Gun
Faith No More ~ Underwater Love
KORN ~ Reclaim My Place
The Cranberries ~ Not Sorry

I love Brunch...and I really love Susan V's omelette for one recipe. It's the only one I use..it's creamy and tasty. I enjoy experimenting with different fillings although my favourite is the broccoli and vegan chorizo mix created by ML. But a firm favourite has always been this cabbage dish from the kitchen of  Mridula Baljekar ~ The Low-Fat Indian Vegetarian Cookbook. My copy is hanging together by strands as its so well used...and loved. lol. I haven't had a bad result from this cookbook yet.

For my breakfasts over the festive period I wanted something a little different from the norm. It wasn't a leap that I ended up with the tofu omelette but I was surprised to find myself deciding on this spicy filling. Maybe with all the potentially rich foods to come I was looking for something cleansing. You know what? It worked! lol.

I made up a double batch of the omelette mix and stashed it away in the fridge so it minimised the effort on the days. I also made this cabbage dish in advance too as it keeps really well in the fridge..and it makes enough for four breakfasts. Woo!

Hastily taken photo of Omelette for One with Dry Spiced Cabbage lol

Dry Spiced Cabbage   Serves 4
(Recipe from The Low-Fat Indian Vegetarian Cookbook)

2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds 
1 red onion, finely sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced 
1 green chilli, seeded and cut into julienne 
1/4 tsp ground turmeric 
565g/1 1/4 lbs/9 cups green cabbage, finely shredded 
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves 

In a wok, heat the oil over a medium heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the cumin seeds and allow to sizzle for 15 seconds. 

Add the onion, garlic and chilli. Stir fry for 4 minutes then add the turmeric. Stir fry for 30 seconds. 

Look at my beautiful January King cabbage...tasted better than it looked!
 
Add the cabbage and salt, stir fry for 2 minutes then reduce the heat to low. Cover the wok with a piece of foil or lid, and cook the cabbage in it's own juices for 10-12 minutes. If you like the cabbage really soft, cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the coriander, remove from the heat and serve. Or leave to cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope that your Sunday has been a peaceful one...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it's creation. It is the hard work and talent of Mridula Baljekar.