Thursday 5 December 2013

Erin's Shaved Brussels Sprout and Ginger Potstickers

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Black Eyed Peas ~ Pump It
Tina Dico ~ Magic
Thunder ~ Another Shot of Love (Live)
Marvin Gaye ~ Sexual Healing
Jamie Cullum ~ Can't We Be Friends
Buckcherry ~ Helpless
Cat Power ~ Lived In Bars
Michelle Branch ~ Goodbye To You
Colbie Cailat ~ Midnight Bottle 
Natalie Imbruglia ~ When You're Sleeping 
Stevie Nicks ~ Edge of Seventeen
The Thompson Twins ~ Love On Your Side
Chris Cornell ~ I Am The Highway (Live)
Dixie Chicks ~ Easy Silence 

What fun I had making these little babies...lol I have wanted to make dumplings/potstickers/whatever you call them...forever. I recently found a (new to me..) new Chinese supermarket in the city and was able to buy vegan wonton wrappers. They are not Gluten Free but it's a start...

I found this recipe posted randomly but the 'author' is credited as Erin Alderson. I knew just from reading the recipe title that I would love these so I was just left to see if I had the patience to make them. I was delighted to find out that not only did I have the patience but I also quite enjoyed it...I found the assembly as relaxing as chopping veggies. So major Zen time...lol. The filling is easy to make and relatively quick and the assembly is straight forward. Cooking them is a matter of moments also...but I did have a spectacular water onto oil moment which had me slamming on lids and ducking for cover....which lead to much laughter shared with my Mum. 

The results were a delight. I haven't enjoyed dumplings/potstickers as much as this since back in New York.  And if my memory serves me correctly these are much tastier. I have found the dumplings/potstickers I've had here in England...gloopy and tasteless. I cannot bear to eat the take out offerings and the restaurants I go to don't offer vegan dumpling/potsticker options. Now I know how easy it is to make them myself...I can't wait to get started creating my own fillings. These were 'just' a little chewy which I liked...the flavours of the fillings were sublime..citrus, herbs and heat from the ginger. Textures from the brussels filling with the tender/chewy wontons were for me a divine pleasure. 

Thank you Erin Alderson...if you are the creator of this recipe...thank you!  

Shaved Brussels Sprout and Ginger Potstickers

Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Ginger Potstickers   Makes 20 
(Recipe by Erin Alderson)

2 tsp sesame oil
1 small onion, minced
1 1/4 cup shaved Brussels Sprouts (Or finely chopped)
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp minced fresh coriander/cilantro 
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley 

20 vegan wonton wrappers 
1 tbsp sesame oil
Tamari, for topping 
Sesame Seeds, for topping

Heat the sesame oil in a skillet with a lid. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the Brussels Sprouts, lime juice and ginger, cooking until the brussels sprouts are bright in colour and just tender, 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander and parsley. 

Set up an assembly station with a small bowl of water, filling and the wrappers. Working with one wrapper at a time, place 1 tbsp filling in the middle, dip your finger in the water and run it along the entire edge of the wrapper. Fold both ends up and lightly pinch. Working with one side, pleat and pinch together so that once pleated, potsticker is closed. Repeat with remaining filling. 

If you want, you may now freeze any potstickers you may not use stop. Simply place on a tray so that no potsticker is touching each other and freeze. Once frozen you may then transfer to a container. When ready to eat, you can cook them from frozen - just allow for a little extra time. 

For cooking potstickers, heat a tbsp of sesame oil over a med-high heat. Place potstickers in pan so that no potsticker is touching. Cook for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes until the bottom is browned. Pour in 1/4 cup of water, place a tight fitting lid on the pan, and continue to cook for another 4 minutes or until the wrappers are tender. 

Serve with a drizzle of tamari and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is a great one...nearly the weekend folks! 

~Red~ the potsticker addict! lol