Friday 20 December 2013

Veganista's Parsnip & Split Pea Soup

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Bruce Springsteen ~ Spirit In The Night
Philippe Entremont ~ Satie: Je Te Veux
Maxi Priest ~ Close To You
Alisha's Attic ~ Intense 
Suzi Quatro ~ Move It
Queen ~ Breakthru
Kid Rock ~ All Summer Long
Foo Fighters ~ Breakout
Billie Myers ~ Tell Me
Sinatra & Davis Jr ~ Me And My Shadow
Gina Sicilia ~ Before The Night Is Through
KT Tunstall ~ I Don't Want You Now
Tina Dico ~ Home
Gina Sicilia ~ Crazy 'Bout You Baby

This week has been very busy but the good kind. I have been cooking and baking for the Pals Christmas Gathering tonight. We all get together and just kick back and eat, drink and enjoy the merriment of being together. And as I'm not really physically up to doing everything on my own I've had the help of my good pal Ann..aka..doggie guru yesterday. And even though I feel like I've been run over by a truck...I know it could've been a lot worse without her. So thank you...

Despite having a full menu to cook I wanted to make us something wholesome and filling for lunch yesterday. Something to keep the energy levels and warm us through as my kitchen is as cold as a morgue. I had over estimated my parsnip needs so had a stash I wanted to use so I started looking for a soup recipe. I wanted something different to the usual spiced kind and something with a good herb flavour. I have been craving herbs lately..how strange? lol Time being an issue I did a quick search online and after wading through a handful of average recipes I found this one. And it had everything that I wanted...also slow cooker and stove top cooking instructions which was great because originally I was going to throw everything in my slow cooker but again..timing was an issue. 

For the original recipe please visit The Simple Veganista's fantastic posting by clicking here. I'd never visited Julie's blog before and for the life of me I don't know how that was possible. It's a great site with fantastic recipes...I know I enjoyed my visit. Below is the recipe as I made it and Julie's stove top cooking instructions but when you visit her site you can pick up the other cooking instructions and all other info for this recipe. 

I enjoyed this soup on every level...it was a thick, rib sticking soup but didn't at all feel stodgy. The layers of flavours were just perfect for me..although I enjoyed it today with a little drizzle of Siracha too. I loved it...and I hope you try it and love it too...

Right better get back to the evenings preparation..lol. Busy, busy...

Veganista's Parsnip & Split Pea Soup


Parsnip & Split Pea Soup    Serves 4-6
(Recipe from The Simple Veganista)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 med/large onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
4 large parsnips, quartered and chopped
3 large carrots, quarterd and chopped
1lb dried green split peas 
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp herb de provence 
2 bay leaves
6 cups veggie stock or water, more if needed
1 tsp liquid smoke 
1 tsp sea salt or to taste
cracked black pepper to taste 

In a large pot or stock pot, heat the oil and saute onions, garlic, carrots and parsnips until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves and using a submersion blender, blend until desired consistency...blending more for creamy and less for chunky. Taste for seasoning...and serve. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday is a great one. Mine will be if I survive..lol. Tomorrow I hope to be bringing a dessert recipe after a splendid day Family day. 

~Red~