Friday 17 January 2014

Hot Damn & Hell Yeah's Black Bean Chilli

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Foo Fighters ~ Lonely As You
Thunder ~ Another Shot Of Love (Live)
Nickelback ~ Just To Get High
The Smiths ~ Rush and A Push The Land Is Ours
Sandi Thom ft Joe Bonamassa ~ This Ol' World
Holly Williams ~ Three Days In Bed
Escala ft Slash ~ Kashmir
Heart ~ I Don't Want to Need You
Rod Stewart ~ Ruby Tuesday
Them Crooked Vultures ~ No One Loves Me & Neither Do I
Rage Against The Machine ~ Bullet In The Head
Buckcherry ~ Air
Sinatra ~ Moon River
Shakira ~ Un Poco De Amor 

Sometimes I despair at the dish that is vegetable chilli and I am fairly certain I have written about this before. You know the chilli...watery, veggies not cooked enough and zero heat. How people have the cheek to call them a chilli is amazing to me. Surely they are veggie stews at best? lol. Sometimes I crave a chilli...and if there are going to be veggies they have to be cooked but I also prefer mine to have a good amount of bean in it. I also like to feel like I've eaten the spicy dish..you know..that hint of glow around your lips. I'm not a heat junkie like some people I know and love. I don't like a chilli or curry that makes me go into melt down or drink endless amounts of water with it. A healthy heat of a glow is my preference...lol.

I picked up my copy of Hot Damn! And Hell Yeah! quite a few years ago now. And blimey, have I enjoyed it. It's certainly an interesting cookbook and has some great recipes. I've wanted to try this chilli for a while as I love black beans and all the health benefits they provide are just a bonus. My craving kicked in for chilli and I knew instantly which one I was going to try. Hot Damn...I was gonna have me some black bean chilli! lol

Making this chilli is easy. The recipe is straightforward and once everything is in the pan, its a matter of leaving it to simmer away. And at the end of that time you are left with a great thick, beany and rich red chilli.

This chilli hit every one of my needs. It was rich, spicy, beany, intense and the veggies were cooked perfectly and the beans were so good. I served mine with a little brown rice and some steamed side veggies. My recipe books are covered with scribbled notes and scores...and this baby got the full 10/10! Yes..that good. 

Black Bean Chilli
 

Black Bean Chilli    Serves 4 
(Recipe from Hot Damn! Hell Yeah!/Splint)

1 tbsp oil 
1 onion, chopped 
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
3 cups cooked black beans 
2 cans tinned chopped tomatoes
1 cup water
1-3 tbsp tbsp chilli powder (I used 3 tsp of Hot! chilli powder)
1 tsp ground cumin 
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/2 tsp brown sugar (I omitted this) 
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp black pepper 
fresh cilantro/coriander or spring/green onions, chopped

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and green pepper and saute until the onion is translucent. Stir in the chilli powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon, cooking until mixed and absorbed. 

Add the chopped tomatoes and water, then bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent burning to bottom of the pan. Add beans, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir well and return it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring to prevent and scorchin'. Serve garnished with cilantro or green onions. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday has been a great one...

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore I take no credit for it. It is the hard work and creative talent of Ryan Splint. ~R~