Tuesday 14 January 2014

Rustic Oat Cakes with Cannellini Bean & Roasted Garlic Spread

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Danny Baker Radio 5 Live Podcast

There is no way I am ever again buying oatcakes. I finally got around to making my own and it was 1. fun! 2. so cheap 3. so easy to make, it's ridiculous. It also meant I could make my own selection at what I added to them...which was nothing! I went hardcore...just some jumbo oats, boiled water and 1/2 tsp low sodium salt. And they were very rustic and earthy...I love them! No preservatives, no hidden fats and no high levels of salts. I will experiment with adding in flavourings and as long as you use GF oats they are also Gluten Free. Marvellous...

I also wanted something tasty to spread on them and as I am trying to steer clear of all the usual toppings like hummus, nut butters or jams etc. I had a fair few bulbs of garlic in my stocks so I roasted off two of them in the oven and pulled out the leftovers from a tin of Cannellini beans from a couple of days ago. So this recipe isn't for you strange folks that don't enjoy garlic. lol.

The combination was amazing. The spread is creamy and mellow due to the roasting of the garlic and the beans give it a great base. The oatcakes are wholesome and I need that in a snack. Sometimes the most simple of recipes can be the most rewarding. Don't ya think?

Rustic Oat Cakes with Cannellini Bean & Roasted Garlic Spread

Rustic Oat Cakes with Cannellini Bean & Roasted Garlic Spread 

Rustic Oat Cakes  Makes 20 

1 1/2 cups of jumbo oats  (Gluten Free)
1/2 cup of boiling water 
1/2 tsp low sodium salt 

Place the oats in a bowl and top with water. Stir round and leave for 5 minutes. 

Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 200'C/400'F/GM 6.

Get your hands in the bowl and knead until all the oats are formed into a dough ball. Then cut into 20 small pieces. Using two small pieces of parchment paper, roll out the lumps until flat. Then place on the baking sheets. Place them in the hot oven and bake for 5 minutes and then flip them over for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a cooking rack and them store in a airtight container until ready to use. 

Cannellini Bean & Roasted Garlic Spread  Makes a heaped 1/2 cup

2 bulbs of garlic 
1/2 tin of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained 

Slice the tops off of the garlic bulbs and discard the lids. Then wrap the bulbs in tin foil and place them in a hot oven and roast for 30-40 minutes until the cloves are creamy. But keep a check on them from the 30 minute mark. 

Place the beans into a hand blender jug...then carefully squeeze out the cloves into the jug. Then with the hand blender mulch until you have a smoothish paste. 

You may want to add parsley if you are overly concerned about the garlic factor but I just sprinkled some chopped parsley over mine. 

Schmear the spread over the oatcakes and enjoy! 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Tuesday has been a great one. Mine has been lovely having spent the day catching up with my pal Ann and the little four legged fella returned home from his holidays..all fluffy and cute. 

~Red~