Tuesday 28 January 2014

White Bean, Sage and Garlic Dip

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Stevie Nicks ~ Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Foo Fighters ~ Tired Of You
Joan Jett ~ A Secret Love
The Puppini Sisters ~ Sway 
The Bryan Ferry Orchestra ~ Slave To Love 
Bowie ~ Golden Years 
Emmylove Harris & Don Williams ~ If I Needed You
Abbacadabra ~ Mamma Mia
Bach: Orchestral Suite in #3 in D : Air 
Rod Stewart ~ Stay With Me
James Morrison ~ One Last Chance
Maxine Sullivan ~ It Ain't Necessarily So 
Jessie Ware ~ No To Love 
Dixie Chicks ~ Easy Silence

I've had the pleasure of the littlest niece's company for the day. My sister has started a part time job and that means that I get the chance to spend some extra time with the little one. We have been busy painting, cooking soup, playing games, dancing and shooting pirates. lol All great fun and having her thoughts and input on the events of the day has been interesting and at times quite funny. Sometimes it's hard to remember she is only 2..well until next week. She is far wiser and more mature than some 5 year olds. Seeing her slumped in the car seat on the way to her home was quite a satisfying feeling...I'd worn her out. lol. But no doubt that it was a temporary thing...

So to today's recipe...it was a recipe that I made on Friday for the weekend. I am experimenting with fresh sage right now having thought for years that I didn't like it. Now I know that I am not a big fan of the dried variety but the fresh option is really quite lovely. I found this recipe posted by that great cook Anon but as soon as I read through the ingredients I knew I had found a recipe I wanted to try..now! In minutes it was printed off and in a few more I was in my kitchen prepping. 

It is an easy dish to make if you don't drop the baking dish as you are lifting it out of the oven! Urgh! lol And once it's blitzed you have a fairly sizable pot of dip. I used mine as a dip for crudites, spread for oatcakes, in a sandwich and I think it would be great as a filling for a jacket potato although I have yet to try that one. Its flavours despite the amount of garlic used are subtle and wholesome. Oh and I had some on hot GF toast which was very good. 

White Bean, Sage & Garlic Dip with Rustic Oarcakes

White Bean, Sage & Garlic Dip  Servings...many lol.

2 1/2 tins of cannellini beans, rinsed well and drained 
5 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
10 fresh sage leaves 
2 bay leaves 
1 tbsp olive oil 
1 whole head of garlic, outermost papery husk removed
salt and black pepper 
juice of 1 lemon 

Preheat oven to 350'F/180'C/GM 4. Spray the head of garlic with olive oil cooking spray. Put it in a small baking dish with 1/3 cup water. Bake until soft and lightly caramelised, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool and then squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves. 

Put the drained beans in a saucepan along with the bay leaves, sage and garlic and just cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and then simmer for 3o minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water, drain the bean mix. 

Blitz the bean mix with the roasted garlic, oil and enough of the cooking water to achieve a spreadable consistency. Season to taste with the salt, pepper and lemon. 

Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Tuesday has been as much fun as mine...

~Red~ 

NB: This recipe is not my creation and therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever. But thanks to whoever did. ~R~