Saturday 1 February 2014

Onion Curry

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Korn & Amy Lee ~ Freak On A Leash
Anna Nalick ~ Satellite
Dead Sara ~ Sorry For It All
Rizzle Kicks ~ Down With The Trumpets
The Gossip ~ Yr Mangled Heart
Thunder ~ Moth To The Flame
Chris Cornell ~ All Night Thing
Gin Wigmore ~ Black Sheep
Depeche Mode ~ Personal Jesus
Curtis Stigers ~ This Life
Muse ~ Panic Station
McAlmont & Butler ~ Falling
Buckcherry ~ Nothing Left But Tears
Gin Wigmore ~ Saturday Smile

Now how does one person end up with three bags of onions after a festive period. And all different colours...I kid you not! I had a large bag of the regular yellow/brown onions and a substantial amount of red ones but also sat behind them was an impulse purchase. For some reason this usually Pinkphobic person thought that buying a bag of Pink onions would be good fun. lol. It turned out that they were actually more lilac in colour. So faced with this overwhelming amount of onions I decided to try out this curry recipe I've had hanging around in my files. I have no one to give credit to as it was posted by Anon. So the eight onions it took to make this recipe made at least the Pink ones disappear. Good thing I love onions, eh? lol. Well cooked onions anyway.

The recipe ingredients and cooking instructions were extremely basic and there was no measure for the ginger and garlic paste. So I made a paste of a grated 3" piece of fresh ginger and 4 cloves garlic. But its really a very simple recipe so it wasn't a problem. Now this dish is never going to win any beauty awards..lol And no matter how many coriander leaves you throw at it...it still just looks...brown. lol. Hey..I tried.

I served mine with a handful of garden peas and to be honest it really needed the burst of freshness in every mouthful. It was hot! So maybe next time I'll use slightly less chilli powder or maybe not my Hot chilli powder blend. lol. The onions were succulent...and with the peas made a very enjoyable curry. And a little goes a long way..lol. A great recipe for using up onions but probably only used at those times. Interesting....yes...thats the word for it. lol. 

Onion Curry with pretty coriander leaves..lol

Onion Curry 

8 onions, peeled and sliced 
2 tbsp oil (I used sunflower)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds 
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (I used yellow)
1 tsp chilli powder (I used Hot)
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric 
ginger & garlic paste (I used 3" piece of fresh ginger/4 garlic cloves)
1 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp low sodium) 

Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the cumin and mustard seeds. 

When the seeds start to pop add the onions slices and saute until onions are translucent. 

Then add the ginger and garlic paste and all spices and mix well. 

Cook until the oil separates. Keep in simmer for 5 minutes. (?)

Finally add the coriander leaves and mix well. 

Enjoy!

Look at the pretty lilac onions...lol

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Saturday has been a very good one...

~Red~

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it.