Thursday 27 February 2014

Rocket & Roses Tomato, Aubergine and Red Pepper Oven Roasted Layer

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Human League ~ Don't You Want Me? 
Soundgarden ~ I Awake 
Orianthi ~ Addicted To Love
The Pretty Reckless ~ My Medicine
Dolly Parton ~ We Had It All
Lady Antebellum ~ Friday Night 
VAST ~Thrown Away(Live)
Thunder ~ A Better Man
Sting ~ English Man in New York
Tom Jones ~ You Can Leave Your Hat On
Santana ~ Hoy Es Adios
Little Angels ~ Do You Wanna Riot 
Bon Jovi ~ No Apologies 
Sara Sant'Ambrogio ~ Prayer "From Jewish Life" No. 1

Yesterday I had the great pleasure of being the recipient of my Mum's latest piece of art work. She had based her oil painting upon the postcard I had sent to her from my holiday in Cornwall last year. It is now proudly hanging on my wall and I absolutely love it. I think it is one of her best works to date and I think finally she is beginning to believe in her abilities as an artist. I shall post the painting tomorrow as I have a busy hospital day tomorrow and therefore no foodie post to offer. 

In the daily endeavour to use up the veggies that I can't fit in my temporary fridge I have been quite busy. Today's veggie was a beautiful striped aubergine. So beautiful, that it seemed a shame to hack it up and smother it in a sauce...I wanted a recipe that would showcase it's beauty. I was reminded of a ratatouille recipe I made last year and decided to have a go at making my own version but I didn't want the richness that comes with a ratatouille. I also had a bunch of vine ripened tomatoes and a long thin sweet red pepper. 

I find the layering of these veggie dishes to be quite cathartic and not at all fiddly or time consuming and I really do love the end results. The taste of this simple dish was so good and I served mine with brown rice but it would be great with pasta too. Another case of simple flavours winning out...

R & R Tomato, Aubergine and Red Pepper Oven Roasted Layer

Rocket & Roses Tomato, Aubergine and Red Pepper Oven Roasted Layer
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

3 tbsp tomato paste 
3 tbsp water
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp mixed herbs ~ thyme, marjoram, oregano, parsley, sage, basil
1/2 tsp olive oil
freshly ground black pepper 

1 medium striped aubergine 
3 medium vine ripened tomatoes
1 long thin red bell pepper 
freshly ground black pepper 
1/2 tsp olive oil 

In a bowl whisk together the tomato paste, water, garlic, herbs, oil and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. 

Preheat the oven to 350'F/180'C/GM 4 and make ready a round baking dish (although any
baking dish will do..it just won't be as pretty..lol) Pour the sauce into the dish and smooth it over to ensure an even layer. 

Slice the aubergine, tomatoes and red pepper into 1/4 inch slices and start to layer them in an aub/tom/pepper order and keep going around the outside edge. Then fill the centre with the remaining slices. 

Like so!..lol

Generously grate black pepper over the slices and then drizzle the 1/2 tsp of olive over the slices. Cover with a foil lid and place in the hot oven and leave to roast for 45 minutes. Then remove the lid and roast for a further 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve...

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday has been a good one...

~Red~