Monday 3 February 2014

Rose's Lentil and Tomato Soup

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Holland & Jones ~ Slow Down
Camille Thomas ~ Sonata for Cello and Piano in B Flat Major
Martina McBride ~ Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
Nigel Kennedy ~ Massenet: Thalis - Meditation Religieuse
Otis Redding ~ Cigarettes and Alcohol
Madonna ~ Secret Garden
AC/DC ~ Whole Lotta Rosie (Live)
Meredith Brooks ~ All For Nothing
Stevie Ray Vaughan ~ The Things (That) I Used To Do
Martina McBride ~ I Won't Close My Eyes
Surfan Stevens ~ Impossible Soul
Foo Fighters ~ Doll
Marilyn Manson ~ Disposable Teens 
Angela Gheorghiu ~ Verdi: 11 Trovatore-Act 1: Tacea La Notte Placida Di Tale Amor

Blimey have I had a busy start to my week. Today I have been transforming my kitchen into a gluten and wheat free zone. Well except for one little cupboard of wheatie products I couldn't bare to part with and shall use up on my sister and her little ones when they visit. But as I was making that change I decided to go through my entire stock cupboards and the like. Basically I wanted to make the kitchen more 'move' friendly. So that when the time comes (and it had better be very soon..grrr..lol) I can just fill boxes and go. I have sorted, binned, scrubbed and cleaned until my hands are sore..lol. And I loved every exhausting second of it. Truly...it's been a while since I've been able to fly solo and blitz the way I like to. The iPod has been on LOUD with my Dance/Fun play list...and I was off...however now I am shattered and sat down writing up today's posting and fighting my eyelids closing..lol. But it was worth every single second.

Right then...today's recipe is a soup that has been a firm favourite at R&R HQ for years. It's easy to make, very cheap and tastes just great. I served it to the littlest one when I was looking after her last week and she had two bowlfuls..lol. She loved it so it's kiddie approved too. It's a recipe from Rose Elliot's cookbook The Bean Book. I make many of the soup recipes from this great cookbook and have a stock in my freezer for last minute meals.

Rose's Lentil & Tomato Soup

Lentil and Tomato Soup    Serves 4 
(Recipe from The Bean Book/Elliot)

1 large onion
1 celery stalk
2 tbsp oil (I used 1 tsp)
125g/4oz/heaping 1/2 cup split red lentils
1 14oz can of chopped tomatoes
900ml/1 1/2 pints/3 1/4 cups veggie stock 
sea salt 
freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Peel and finely chop the onion and slice the celery. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion and celery for 7-10 minutes without browning them, then stir in the lentils and stir for a minute or two until they coated in the oil. Add the tomatoes and stock and bring up to the boil. Half cover and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes, by which time the lentils should be cooked. Blitz the soup until smooth and then season with the salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve...

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Monday has been a great one...

~Red~ 

NB: This recipe is not mine and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creative talent of Rose Elliot's and hers alone. I thank her for another great recipe. ~R~