Thursday 6 March 2014

Basil & Almond Pesto, Red Onion, Courgette and Plum Tomato Topped Pizza on Ella's Quinoa Crust (vegan & GF)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Beth Hart ~ I'll Take Care Of You
Bodyrockers ~ You Got Me Singing 
Gary Moore ~ With Love (Remember)
Jones & Holland ~ Slow Down
Bryan Adams ~ Please Forgive Me
Joss Stone ~ Some Kind Of Wonderful 
Joan Jett ~ Bad Reputation
Beth Hart ~ Keep On Going
The Beach Boys ~ Kokomo 
Beth Hart ~ Them There Eyes
Portishead ~ Strangers
Gregory Porter ~ Work Song
Nelly Furtado ~ Glow
Soundgarden ~ Tighter & Tighter 

I have been jonesing for a pizza since the weekend. Do you ever get cravings that bad? It got so bad that I just decided to make a pizza and be damned. lol. My gluten free pizza base of choice was once again Deliciously Ellas quinoa base. After testing it out last week I was wanting to try it with a pesto based sauce and used my simple pesto recipe of basil, ground almonds and garlic oil. I wanted to keep my toppings simple so turned to three of my favourite pizza veggies..red onion, courgette and fresh plum tomatoes.

Making the base was fun as I had the help of the littlest niece who ended up covered in the batter and had great fun pressing the processor buttons. lol. However she didn't approve of the pesto so lost interest at that point and came back only to arrange the onion rings for me before scooting off to catch up on her Dora addiction. The pizza smelt so good as it baked and my tender tum was actually looking forward to food for the first time this week. Shame I wasn't eating it until that evening after another hospital visit...ah well..I had something to look forward to...

I wasn't disappointed because the first taste of the warmed up pizza sent my taste buds dancing. The base held the flavour of the pesto perfectly and the veggies were a great addition. I admit it..I ate the whole thing and my tum loved me for it. lol. Once again thanks to Ella over at Deliciously Ella blog for creating a good pizza base...

Basil & Almond Pesto, Red Onion, Courgette and Plum Tomato Topped Pizza

Basil & Almond Pesto, Red Onion, Courgette & Plum Tomato Topped Pizza    Makes 1 8" Pizza

1 Deliciously Ella Quinoa Pizza Base

4 tbsp pesto of your choice
(to make mine...3 handfuls of basil, 3 tbsp ground almonds, 5 tbsp garlic oil..BLEND)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
12 slices of courgette
2 slices of plum tomato
few leaves of fresh basil to garnish
abundance of freshly cracked black pepper

Take your pre-cooked pizza base and smear the pesto evenly across it and be sure to take it to the very edge of the crust. Place your onion slices on top, followed by the courgette and finishing with the tomato slices. Liberally grate the pepper over the veggies. Place the pizza in a hot oven and bake for 10 minutes. Scatter with torn basil leaves...and serve

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Thursday is a great one....

~Red~

NB: The idea and creation of the quinoa pizza base is not mine and therefore I take no credit for it. It is the hard work and creation of DeliciouslyElla. Thank you to her for such a great recipe ~R~