Sunday 30 March 2014

Besan Dosa with Carrot (vegan and gluten free)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Tina Dico ~ The Other Side 
Deana Carter ~ Turn Those Wheel's Around
The Pretenders ~ Hymn To Her
Edith Piaff ~ L'Accordeoniste
Deap Vally ~ Baby I Call Hell
Meredith Brooks ~ Shout
Paul Weller ~ Wings Of Speed
Colbie Caillat ~ Fearless
Sandi Thom ~ Times Like These
Kaiser Chiefs ~ Time Honoured Tradition
Fleetwood Mac ~ Say You Love Me
Pearl Jam ~ Let The Records Play

Happy Mother's Day to all the lovely Mums celebrating today in UK. I wish you all a love filled day...with lots of treats. 

My day is a lazy day...one filled with catching up on with myself. Listening to my favourite Podcasts whilst pootling around then I'm going to enjoy snuggling up with an afternoon movie. I have plenty of leftovers from last nights meal so I have no cooking to do either. A total 'down time' day. 

Today's recipe comes from the Vegan Magic kitchen. I was looking for a flat bread to serve with the meal I cooked for myself and Ann last night. Ann being a lucky person can indulge in regular naan breads but I needed a gluten free option for myself. I found this recipe during a google search and loved the sound of it. And flipping through the photos and reading the posting convinced me that this was maybe a gluten free flat bread recipe that would indeed have many uses. I believed! And I wasn't disappointed as you can see from my hastily taken photo...not only were they easy to whip up, cooked quickly and were simple to move about but they actually did roll up so they could be used as a wrap too! The taste was slightly spiced with a hint of sweetness from the carrot...and the texture was very slightly dense but in the best way. I'm looking forward to making another batch and testing them out as wraps. I will update this post when I do...

Besan Dosa with Carrot

Besan Dosa with Carrot     Makes 5-6
(Recipe from VeganMagic)

1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1/4 cup rice flour (I used brown rice)
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger root
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp turmeric 
1/8 tsp smoked paprika 
1 tsp salt (Himalayan)

1/2 - 3/4 cup water 
1 cup finely grated carrot 

1/4 cup oil for cooking the dosas (I used 2 tbsp)

Mix the ingredients in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and whisk to obtain a smooth paste. Add the grated carrot and mix it in with a spoon. Check the consistency and add more water if needed. (Usually 2-3 tbsp) The batter should be runny enough to spread it easily in the pan. Thinner batter makes softer dosas. The type of rice flour is also important, choose the powder typle. (If slightly grainy, it will absorb more water, so you need to add extra)

Heat a non-stick pan on medium. Add a couple of drops of oil and spread it around. Lift the pan off of the heat, drop a little less than 1/4 cup batter in the centre of the pan and quickly  spread it around with the back of a spoon. going in circles from the centre outwards. Put the pan back down and smooth the surface while the batter is still wet. Once dry (less than half a minute) drizzle with 1/2 tsp oil over and spread it around the top. With a spatual loosen the edges and then flip the dosa over and let it cook for half a minute or so until brown spots appear. 

The dosa should remain golden on both sides. Reduce the heat if they turn brown. If serving right away, you can stack and cover the with a kitchen towel to remain soft and warm. When making them in advance, cover the inside of a with a large kitchen towel letting the edges hangover the pan, place the dosas inside as you make them, cover them with the towel and place the lid on top. When all dosas are done transfer them to an airtight container. Eat within 1-2 days. If they become dry, you can steam them. 

For a little heat you can add cayenne pepper, chilli powder or finely chopped fresh chillies to the batter. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Sunday is a peaceful one...

~Red~

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of VeganMagic and I thank them for their great recipe. ~R~