Sunday 16 March 2014

Brunch: Ricki's Egyptian Fava Bean Breakfast with Socca Chickpea Flatbread

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Otis Reading ~ That's How Strong My Love is 
Marvin Gaye ~ Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Brandi Carlile ~ Have You Ever
Savage Garden ~ Violet 
Sammy Davis Jr ~ Sam's Song 
The Virginmarys ~ Taking The Blame
Skid Row ~ Psycho Love 
Def Leppard ~ Pour Some Sugar On Me
Tim McGraw ~ My Best Friend
Lucuna Coil ~ Cold 
Micheal Kiwanuka ~ Worry Walks Beside Me
Elgar: Salut D'Amour
John Lennon ~ Jealous Guy
Dean Martin ~ Volare 

I hope you have as much sunshine around you today as I have. It's a beautiful crisp spring day and although I am still on rest I am feeling quite cheerful...the sun rays beaming in through the windows are helping. I have been enjoying watching all the spring flowers popping up everywhere we've been this past week and I've enjoyed feeling the suns warmth on my skin...when I'm not shivering lol.

ML has been helping me out in the kitchen this morning as my energy levels are low right now. But now it is feet up time and I can relax better knowing the days meals are cooked. This morning I enjoyed a Gram Flour Omelette packed with fresh chillies, ginger and veggies but the last few mornings I've been trying out a beany based breakfast. The recipe is from Ricki Heller's self titled website and for her original posting simply click this link. Her website is great and I often find myself there cruising her recipes and articles. 

Now being the bean/lentil addict fan I am. I was very surprised when I realised I hadn't actually eaten fava beans. Sure I've eaten fresh broad beans in dishes and one of my favourite hummus is a broad bean and mint variety. But dried fava beans are another thing and until finding Ricki's recipe I hadn't even thought about them. I admit I did buy a bag of dried ones but after nearly five hours of cooking they were still solid and the house had filled with their unique aroma...(nasty!..lol) and so they ended up in the bin. I did track down some tinned fava beans and stashed them to be used in this recipe. 

As I cooked this recipe I also threw together a Socca Chickpea Flatbread to go with them. I have to say making the beany dish was incredibly simple and I adapted the recipe by adding in a fresh chilli at the garlic stage. Next time I would also skin the tomato and maybe add another but tough tomato skin is a pet peeve of mine. The beany dish was unusual but not unpleasantly so...it was just very different from other beany dishes I've cooked. I liked that the fava beans have a completely different flavour and teamed with a couple of pieces of the flatbread it made for a filling breakfast. I really enjoyed it and will definitely be buying a stash of tinned fava beans for this speedy breakfast. 

Ricki's Egyptian Fava Bean Breakfast with Socca Chickpea Flatbread

Ricki's Egyptian Fava Bean Breakfast    Serves 2
(Recipe from www.rickiheller.com)  

2 tins of fava beans, rinsed well and drained 
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 large tomato, chopped 
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
pepper to taste 
1 small jalapeno, sliced (or chopped & added in when you do the garlic)
freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion, cook for about 5 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add the garlic (and chilli) and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and just beginning to brown.  Add about half of the beans to the skillet and mash with a wooden spoon or spatula to create a bean-onion mush. Add the remaining (whole) beans, tomato, and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss in the jalapeno slices over all just before serving. 

To serve sprinkle the beans with fresh lemon juice (Using about 1/2 lemon) and drizzle with extra oil, if desired. Best served with flatbread. Makes 2 large servings. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Sunday has been a relaxing one...

~Red~ 

NB: The recipe is not my creation and so therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the adapted creation of Ricki Heller adapted from Vegetarian Bible: Fresh from the Garden. I thank them all for this recipe. ~R~