Wednesday 26 March 2014

Carrot & Coriander Soup

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Kellie Coffey ~ Thought I Knew You Well
The Feeling ~ I Want You Now
Terrorvision ~ Stab In The Back
Little Angels ~ Sail Away
Def Leppard ~ When Love And Hate Collide
KORN ~ Swallow
The Kinks ~ Sunny Afternoon
Wilson Philips ~ You Won't See Me Cry
Deacon Blue ~ Your Town
P!nk ~ Missunderstood
Missy Higgins ~ If I'm Honest
Temple Of The Dog ~ Your Service
INXS ~ Mystify
Anna Nalick ~ Paper Bag

I had a good day yesterday...so very good. I spent it walking by the sea at the local coastal town to where I live. Archie was a very happy dog when Ann arrived to visit and after a coffee and catch up we decided to escape to the seaside. We took the scenic route there and then strolled along the sea front. It definitely cleared the cobwebs..lol It was a beautifully sunny day but a little blustery. Archie was in heaven...sniffing out everything, marking his territory..ahem and then after some more seafront walking Ann took him down onto the beach and he enjoyed some off lead time. He was this huge ball of fur running circles around Ann...his smile was infectious. lol. We enjoyed the scenic route back to Helltown. Despite my attempt at flying down the stairs the evening before...ahem...I managed to keep a good pace despite being uncomfortable. I got home...I felt energised by the time spent by the water...mentally and physically. I felt peaceful and smiley but time spent by the sea always has that effect on me. And spending time with a good friend is always a tonic, isn't it? Thanks lovely..

Now what do you do when your loved one brings you home a large bag of organic carrots? They were a steal at 12p and it seemed almost a crime to chop them up and cook them in something. Better give them the respect they deserve and make them the centre of the dish. I confess I have never made carrot and coriander soup before and as I had a small amount of fresh coriander waiting to used, it seemed the time was right. I didn't adhere to a recipe and I basically made it up as I went along. And I am very happy with the results. A vibrant and flavour packed soup...

Carrot & Coriander Soup

Carrot & Coriander Soup   Serves 6-8

2 onions, peeled and sliced
900g carrots, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves, micro grated
2 tsp ground coriander
2ltr veggie stock
large handful of fresh coriander, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
Himalayan salt to season
freshly cracked black pepper to season
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

In a large soup pan place the carrot, onion and garlic and stir well to combine. Add a little water to steam saute for 8 minutes. Cover and stir frequently adding a little more water if necessary until the onions and carrots have softened. Do not allow them to darken in colour. Add the ground coriander and stir well. Pour over the stock,  stir well, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer until the carrots are very tender then add in the fresh coriander. Remove from heat. Stir well and leave the coriander to heat through in the natural heat of the soup.  Season with salt and pepper and then blitz until smooth. Serve..

Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday has been a bright one...

~Red~