Friday 28 March 2014

Cauliflower Tagine

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Patti Smith ~ Dancing Barefoot
Zucchero ~ Feels Like A Woman
John Lennon ~ Mother
The Eagles ~ New Kid In Town
All Saints ~ Black Coffee
Wiser Time ~ Blame It All On Me
Joan Jett ~ Fake Friends
Tom Baxter ~ Tragic 
Bowie ~ Queen Bitch
Live ~ All Over You
Jack Johnson ~ Symbol In My Driveway
P!nk ~ Trouble
Marilyn Manson ~ Rock Is Dead
Bob Marley ~ Keep On Moving

It is pouring with rain today..a very grey Friday morning. On a grey day like this I like to inject some colour into my day by cooking a vibrant meal. And I had a cauliflower and some courgettes to use up so my mind instantly selected this cauliflower tagine. Now, was it cooked in a tagine?...well, no. Mine is safely packed away in the boxes that litter my house until the move so today's dish is a tagine by name only. But it doesn't lose anything for it as the veggies are cooked perfectly, the flavours are blended very well and the aroma as you lift the lid is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. It's a happy dish. And as a bonus it's very simple to make. Back in the day I would've served mine with some bulgar wheat or cous cous but being GF these days means I served mine with good old brown rice. 

My adaption was a simple one as I left out the raisins as dried fruits are off limits for me. To be honest the tagine is slightly on the sweet side so I was kinda pleased I left them out. Next time I would reduce the amount of veggie stock to 7 fl oz as the amount of liquid made it look almost like a soup. But I think that must be judged by you...as the amount of juice in your tinned tomatoes will vary. I really enjoyed this tagine as I loved every ingredient in it...all personal favourites. Despite the slight sweet edge I still enjoyed it but I am very sensitive to naturally sweet foods these days...I even had to admit that my previous love for sweet potato is dying. I would definitely make this dish again on a grey day...


Sunny & Smiley Cauliflower Tagine

Cauliflower Tagine    Serves 6

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I used 1 tsp)
1 large sweet onion, halved and cut in strips
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
2 lemon slices
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp kosher salt 
1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
14.5 fl oz vegetable stock
1 medium cauliflower, cored, cut into 2" florets
6 carrots, peeled, cut into 2" lengths
2 tins chopped tomatoes 
1 tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 stick cinnamon
2 medium courgettes/zucchini, cut into 1" chunks
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup of fresh coriander/cilantro leaves

Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat; add onion and saute for 6 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, cumin, ginger, lemon slices, bay leaves, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant. 

Pour in stock; add cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes with their juice, chickpeas, raisins and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring several times. 

Add courgette/zucchini chunks, cover the pot and continue to simmer 10 minutes longer or until tender. 

To serve, spoon your grain into serving bowls, Top with the cauliflower tagine and juices from pot. Sprinkle with almonds and coriander/cilantro over each serving. 
 
Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday is a great one.  Re: today's photo..I have just realised that I have forgotten to sprinkle on the chopped coriander. So please do your best to imagine the lush green fleks everywhere...lol. Ooops. 

~Red~ 

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore take no credit for it whatsoever. Once more it was posted by that talented person called ANON.