Wednesday 9 April 2014

Buckwheat Noodle Salad with Rocket & Roses Lime, Chilli & Ginger Drizzle (vegan & gluten free)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Beethoven: Violin Sonata #5 'Spring' 

Yesterday I was craving noodle salad for lunch and I was fortunate to have a beautiful Mooli/Daikon sat in my fridge waiting for this kind of moment. I had also received my huge bottle of Bragg Liquid Animos in the post so I was able contemplate making a good noodle drizzle to go with it. I haven;t been able to eat soy sauce or tamari for some time now and taking the advice from some foodie forums..Bragg came up as a good alternative. It worked folks. OK it can be argued that its not exactly the same but it gives the good salty/savoury kick that is needed in some recipes. And I can't wait to test in other dishes I've had to give up recently. I'll get back to you on this with a posting later in the month once I've had time to test it thoroughly. lol. But back to today's recipe...

I wanted to create a noodle salad that didn't rely just on the noodles...I wanted to mix it up with Daikon and carrot noodles. I had picked up a new veggie peeler recently that had a dual head...and so I put the julienne side to good use. And it was a huge success so much easier to use than my previous one. I made 1/3 buckwheat noodles, 1/3 Daikon noodles and yep..1/3 carrot noodles. And then I got creative with my other veggies. I put them in a large airtight tub and got shaking..lol. Now for the dressing I wanted a drizzle that hit all my taste buds in all the right places so was chopping, grating and squeezing with a huge smile on my face. Apparently I had missed this kind of food more than I realised. lol. I made enough for two days as I have a busy hospital day today so I haven't listed the amounts here as you will need to judge that for however many you are making this for. But the dressing recipe makes enough for 2 people. 

I devoured this salad. lol. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I enjoyed every noodle and zingy mouthful and found it hard not to go back for seconds. I didn't do that so I can smugly sit here typing this knowing I have my second portion waiting for me in the fridge. Go me! lol 

Buckwheat Noodle Salad with Rocket & Roses Lime, Chilli & Ginger Drizzle
 

Buckwheat Noodle Salad with Rocket & Roses Lime, Chilli & Ginger Drizzle
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

1 single portion of buckwheat noodles, cooked, drained, cooled and separated
1 daikon radish, peeled and julienned 
1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
1/2 cup cooked edamame, cooled
mangetout, trimmed and halved 
baby sweetcorn, trimmed, rinsed and halved
radish, trimmed and sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cored and finely sliced 

For the drizzle:

1 small garlic clove, core removed and micro grated
1" piece ginger, peeled and micro grated 
1 lime, rolled and juiced 
1 red chilli pepper, finely chopped (de-seeded if preferred)
2 tsp Brags Liquid Animos 
1 tsp toasted sesame oil 
salt to taste (optional)

As you prepare your veggies and noodle place them into a large container with a tight fitting lid. Once all veggies and noodles are finished fit the lid and give them a good shake until they are well combined. You may need to give assistance to the buckwheat noodles as they can be sticky little blighters..lol. Set to one side. 

In a small add the drizzle ingredients as you prepare them and once they are in the bowl using a small whisk, beat them until they have emulsified slightly. You may want to add salt to yours but I am happy without. I also don't add refined/unrefined sugar to my drizzles so feel free to add at will. My lime was quite sweet so didn't need to add a further sweet element to the drizzle. Choice is yours folks...

To serve...again a choice...you could drizzle it over the entire salad and get shaking until its covered the salad veggies. Or you could simply delicately drizzle it over your own bowl of salad. Look at me giving you choices today!..lol 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Wednesday is a great one...

~Red~