Tuesday 8 April 2014

Rocket & Roses Spring Onion & Ginger Buckwheat Pancakes (vegan & gluten free)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

The White Stripes ~ Elephant Album

You know what they say about buses...none for ages and then three come along all at once? Meaning no disrespect to the bus drivers out there...in fact one of my closest friends drives one, don't ya know. lol. But even he would admit that was an often very true statement. Anyway...I have picked up another lurgy! Yes..I know...the third in six weeks. But I am resilient that I will fight this one off as I have the other two. I am more susceptible than usual after hospital visits and the like so I am taking my own advice...Suck it up Buttercup!..and keeping up with my regime of chilli, garlic and ginger foods along with copious amounts of lemon & ginger tea and also the odd echinacea tea. The only whine I'm going to have is that I had to cancel the little ones coming for lunch today but better that then them spending their Easter holidays recovering from this little nasty. Ah well...at least the sun is shining whilst it's raining today...lol

Today's recipe is the results of an idea I've had floating about in my head for sometime. I wanted a breakfast in a hurry but also wanted a savoury kick. I am not one for sweet breakfasts. Cereals just have way too much sugar in them even the 'healthy' variety. My body just cannot process sugar and so I have one box in my cupboard...Brown Rice Puffs which are as described and have no additives. But they have been there for two months, unopened and today just wasn't the day to try them. I have become a little addicted to buckwheat pancakes and been testing them out many different ways. I also had some juicy fresh ginger and four med/large spring onions (green/scallion onions) that needed to be used up. And really it flowed from there. Be warned though...as they cook in the skillet..your mouth will water and you will be tempted to eat them straight from the pan. lol. I enjoyed mine for a late breakfast but they could be eaten anytime. I used a 1/4 cup to measure out the batter and from one mix I got four fluffy pancakes. The spring onion still had a little crunch which was what I was hoping for and the ginger rounded out the flavour perfectly. They were light and fluffy and had great layers of texture especially when scattered with chopped fresh radish too. I know I will be making these often. 

Rocket & Roses Spring Onion & Ginger Buckwheat Pancakes

Rocket & Roses Spring Onion & Ginger Buckwheat Pancakes   Makes 4 pancakes
(Original recipe from the Rocket & Roses Vegan Kitchen)

Generous 2" piece of fresh ginger, peeled and micro grated 
4 med/large spring onions, trimmed, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2" pieces
1 tsp coconut oil 

1/2 cup buckwheat flour 
1/2 heaped tsp gluten free baking powder 
1 tbsp chia seed gel *see below for recipe
generous grating of cracked black pepper 
 
Place the dried batter ingredients into a small bowl with 1/2 cup of water and mix until a smooth paste is formed.  For the chia seed gel..simply add 1 tbsp chia seeds into 3 tbsp water and mix. Leave for 15 minutes until the gel forms them scoop out 1 tbsp of it into the batter paste and mix into it thoroughly. Store leftover gel in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Set batter to one side.   

In a cast iron skillet place the coconut oil, prepped spring onions and fresh ginger and allow to heat over a gentle heat. The aim is to bring out the flavours of the spring onion and ginger and not to cook them. Once they become fragrant keep them moving around the skillet for 2 minutes and then add them to the batter and stir well to make sure they are evenly distributed. Leave the skillet on the heat but taking it up to a med heat. 

Using a 1/4 cup measure scoop up some batter and place it into the skillet and smooth out the batter a little. Repeat once more and leave the pancakes to cook until browned on the bottom, flip them over and leave to brown on the second side. Remove the two pancakes from the skillet and then repeat with the remaining batter. Serve on a small plate with generous amounts of scattered radish. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Tuesday had a beautiful rainbow like mine has...

~Red~