Friday 30 May 2014

Caleb's Spring Vegetable Stir-Fry with Lemon Ginger Sauce (vegan & gluten free)

Rocket & Roses HQ Play List:

Tchaikovsky ~ Francessa De Rimini 

Well as the saying goes...what goes up...must come down! And that I certainly did...I lost Wednesday and Thursday this week to the pain. I make no excuses for it because when it gets that bad I have no other option but to simply exist. Today is a little better and I am hopeful it will keep going that way. This morning I was able to make a hastily thrown together savoury pancake, packed with courgette and broccoli, for my breakfast. And through sheer bloody mindedness I made today's posting recipe for my evening meal. Thankfully Caleb's recipe is very quick to make and before my internal batteries died again I had a pan of beautifully cooked spring vegetables in a divine smelling sauce. 

I found this recipe by chance when checking out a Pin posted recipe from Caleb's website twopeasandtheirpod.com I really enjoyed my visit to the website and when this recipe popped up I knew I had to print it off for testing out. For the original recipe with photo instructions simply click here...

This sauce recipe spoke to me because it wasn't laden with vinegars which I am trying to avoid. And I was intrigued by the cooking method. As I only had a few pencil thin asparagus at hand I added some beautiful green beans to help bulk it out. And the only other adaption was that I used Braggs Liquid Animos instead of Tamari or Soy Sauce. The making of this zesty and interesting dish was very simple. The hardest part for me was juicing a bag of very stubborn lemons...6 lemons to make 4 tbsps of fresh juice! lol. From prepping my sauce and veggies to completed cooking time took me all of 15 minutes. I know that I am a speedy chopper but believe me..today I am not! As the sauce thickened in my wok my veggies were cooked to a perfect tender-crisp texture. I had a sample test serving once it was cooked and I will be enjoying some more tonight with my trusty brown rice. I really enjoyed the crisp spring veggies in their lemon fresh but slightly savoury sauce. What a great recipe...thanks to all at twopeasandtheirpod.com.

Spring Vegetable Stir Fry with Lemon Ginger Sauce

Spring Vegetable Stir Fry with Lemon Ginger Sauce  Serves 4
(Recipe by twopeasandtheirpod.com)

For the Lemon Ginger Sauce:

1/2 cup low sodium veggie stock
2 tbsp tamari/soy/Braggs
2 tbsp water 
1 tsp sesame oil
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cornstarch/flour

For the Stir Fry:

1 tbsp olive oil 
1 large bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2" pieces
2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 spring onions, cut into 2" pieces
1 large handful of green beans, trimmed, cut into 2" pieces
1 (8oz) can water chestnuts, drained
salt and black pepper to taste

rice or quinoa (Caleb's chosen accompaniment) 

First, make the Lemon Ginger Sauce. In a small bowl whisk together broth, tamari, water, sesame oil, lemon juice, ginger and garlic. Whisk in the cornflour/starch, making sure there are no lumps. 

In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over a high heat. Add in the asparagus, peas, spring onions and water chestnuts. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir fry until the vegetables are tender, but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. The sauce will thicken as the stir fry cools.

Serve the stir fry over quinoa or rice, if desired. You can also eat the stir fry plain. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your Friday is a great one...

~Red~

NB: This is not my recipe and therefore I take no credit for it whatsoever. It is the hard work and creation of Caleb @ twopeasandtheirpod.com and his alone. I send thanks out for sharing such a great recipe. ~R~